Municipal Legal Counsel acts as a legal advisor for the Municipality, providing legal services and support to all parts of the organization.
Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing general legal support on a variety of matters as they arise, including, but not limited to the following:
Research and Implementation:
- Civil litigation matters including research, drafting, and coordination of litigation;
- Enforcement matters including bylaw prosecutions and drafting stop orders;
- Taxation and Assessment matters including handling assessment complaints and appeals;
- Planning and Development matters including providing opinions, drafting bylaws, and representing the Development and Subdivision Authority on appeals;
- General counsel matters including drafting/reviewing contracts, providing general legal advice, reviewing policies and procedures for legal compliance; and
- Assisting with any other municipal legal matters that may arise from time to time, as assigned by the Director.
Legal Counsel will be responsible for research and drafting as required, including but not limited to: reviewing and advising on legislative changes affecting Municipal operations in the areas of municipal governance, planning and development, corporate law, environmental regulation. Legal Counsel will also be responsible for providing legal updates on law in areas that impact municipal operations and governance.
Legal Counsel will be required to regularly communicate with the Director of Legal Services and with other lawyers and staff in the Department. The Department also has a Regulatory Branch and a Policy/FOIP Branch and Legal Counsel work with other staff in these Branches. Legal Counsel may be required to attend administrative or council meetings on behalf of the Director, or to attend court bylaw prosecutions.