Provides department leaderships in the delivery of land use planning, development and safety codes services to County residents and customers while providing assistance to the Sr. Manager in collaborating with other County Departments on corporate initiatives.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Lead and Manage Planning & Development Department
Apply leadership skills in the coaching and mentoring of department staff in delivering planning & development services efficiently with a focus on exceptional customer service.
Development and management of annual department budget.
Develop and maintain a Department Business Plan to effectively manage yearly operating and corporate initiatives.
Create and maintain department and corporate policy and procedures that ensure the most efficient delivery of services while ensuring role clarity for department staff.
Complete, monitor and review yearly performance and professional development plans for staff consistent with County policy and operating procedures.
Responsible for ensuring Health and Safety is part of daily work functions and staff are aware of their role in the maintaining a safe and healthy workplace.
Manage services and contract for Safety Codes Services.
Foster a department culture that promotes County Guiding Principles in day to day operations and delivery of services
Support to Department providing planning and development Services
Provide oversight to Planner and Development Officers in the processing of applications for development, subdivision and amendments.
Attend pre-application meetings with developers and residents on proposed projects.
Assist the Sr. Manager in the drafting and management of Development Agreements.
Manage agreements for Lease, License of Occupation and Encroachments
Prepares Briefings and RFDs on behalf of the department and makes presentations to the Senior Management Team, Municipal Planning Commission, County Council or others.
Coordinate public engagement consistent with County policy direction in support of various planning & development applications and or/projects.
Assists the Senior Manager, in the drafting and issuance of project proposals, Requests for Proposal, tenders, budgets, cash flows and preliminary schedules.
As required works closely with other departments and organizations to plan and execute planning related projects.
As required responsible to Project Manager Department operating initiatives and/or corporate initiatives.
Post-secondary degree in planning or related field.
• Advanced leadership training and a minimum of 5 years leadership experience in a municipal setting.
• A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
• Training in project management.
• Experience creating and leading high functioning terms and working with diverse groups
• Valid class 5 driver’s license.
• Working knowledge of applicable federal, provincial and municipal legislation, including by not limited to the Municipal Government Act.
• Working knowledge of principles and practices of urban and rural planning and development.
• Well developed leadership, coaching and mentoring skills in creating high functioning teams.
• Excellent ability to establish effective internal and external relationships, partnerships and alliances through collaboration and cooperation.
• Enthusiastic, highly motivated and able to produce effective results in accordance with political direction.
• Ability to take a broad-based, strategic approach to planning and implementation.
• Ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines.
• Strong project management skills and the ability to work independently.
• Commitment to client service and innovation.
• Awareness of County context in relation to provincial or federal interests and the interrelationships of different internal and external departments.
• Ability to interpret and implement federal, provincial and municipal legislation.
• Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office, internet and other computer software programs.
• Must possess high political acumen and maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
• Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and create reports and presentations for a variety of audiences.
• Superior research, analytical, organizational and communication skills.
• Superior written and verbal communications skills.
• Proven ability to lead in a team based environment and possess the ability to engage others in problem solving, research or project management.
• Strong interpersonal skills, time management, planning and organizing skills with attention to detail, and an emphasis on relationship management and collaboration.
• Independent work habits and self-motivation.
Salary range: Under Review
Lac La Biche County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including:
100% Employer paid Health and Dental Benefits
Employee and Family Assistance Plan
Local Authorities Pension Plan
Competition Number: 05-MPD-19
Closing Date: This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.