The Manager of Planning and Safety Codes Services is accountable and responsible for all aspects of current planning, long range planning, and building and safety codes. The Manager is also responsible for the Planning budget and staff.
The Manager of Planning and Safety Codes Services has the following direct reports: Junior Planner, Intermediate Planner, Safety Codes Technician, Development Officer (2), and Planning Technician.
Please submit resume to:
Human Resources (Marked confidential), Wheatland County
RR1 Hwy 1
Strathmore, Alberta T1P 1J6
Fax (403) 934-4889
In accordance with Wheatland County’s Personnel Policy, the successful candidate will be required to submit to a Criminal Records Check, and must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- As a supervisor with direct reports, participate in the recruitment and selection process, conduct new employee onboarding / orientation, train, coach, performance manage, participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations, participate in employees’ career development, and actively participate in other corporate-endorsed human resource management processes and procedures.
- Act as Development Officer for the purpose of signing off on development permits for the County.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Maintain own compliance with OH&S and ensure all applicable employees are in compliance with OH&S including employee attendance at regular safety meetings, employees being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring employees complete work in a safe manner; participate with other management team members regarding OH&S initiatives.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., preparation of presentations, reports and other documentation), when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Oversee Planning and Safety Codes Services; establish objectives, oversee and monitor results of Planning and Development along with Safety Code Services including programs, services, legislated duties, education / awareness activities, and reporting processes.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Planning and Development including Safety Code Services with respect to policies, programs, and resources to stated objectives of the department.
- Establish objectives, oversee and monitor administration and development of County Planning and Development, and Safety Codes policies and procedures.
- As the Wheatland County representative on the Tactical Advisory Group (TAG), participate in the creation of the new Interim Plan for the Calgary Metropolitan Regional Board.
- Organize and determine applications and projects for Municipal Planning Commission and Council review and approval.
- Attend all major / complex Planning and Development meetings.
- Establish objectives, oversee and monitor the creation and results of all long range land use planning updates and initiatives, including any revisions to the Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Inter-municipal Development Plans (IDPs), and Land Use Bylaw (LUB).
- Integrate the new Calgary Metropolitan Regional Board Plan into County planning documents and adhere to the new regional land use rules and processes for the defined area.
- Establish and maintain positive inter-municipal relationships; facilitate and coordinate Inter-municipal Development Plans and Mutual Servicing Agreements to provide mutual services and partnerships for the County.
- Establish objectives, oversee and monitor preparation of agendas and minutes of the Municipal Planning Commission.
- Attend meetings and functions of Council and the Municipal Planning Commission, as required, to keep abreast of departmental operations; facilitate two-way information exchange and provide input for operational critique and improvements.
- Direct the preparation, implementation, and processing of all applications / requests for permits, certificates, and authorizations under the Land Use Bylaw and related Municipal bylaws.
- Oversee and monitor enforcement provisions of the Land Use Bylaw.
- Oversee contracted services utilized for evaluation of plans and subdivisions.
- Respond to ratepayers’ and developers’ concerns, inquiries, and service requests; liaise with regulatory agencies.
- A degree or diploma in Planning or a related discipline; a post graduate degree would be an asset
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and the Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI)
- Extensive knowledge of Planning, Safety Codes, and municipal legislation
- Five to seven (5-7) years of progressive experience in a management or supervisory role, preferably in a rural municipality
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal / interpersonal, and presentation skills
- High proficiency in computer programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence.
- This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Mar 15, 2019
Closing Date: Apr 03, 2019