We are looking for an individual with the great skills and qualifications noted below to lead our fantastic Parks and Agricultural Services team. This individual will bring their enthusiasm for collaboration and energy for administering all Parks, Cemeteries and Agricultural Service Board (ASB) programs and services.
Welcome to Kneehill County!
Situated in the heart of central Alberta, Kneehill County is a progressive rural municipality comprised of approximately 814,653 acres of land and a population of 5001. Within the Kneehill County boundaries, are the Towns of Three Hills and Trochu, Villages of Acme, Carbon, and Linden, and 4 Hamlets (Torrington, Huxley, Swalwell, Wimborne) and other neighborhoods (Hesketh, Sunnyslope) with a total population of 11,193.
Today, agriculture remains the backbone of the local economy, complemented by a strong oil and gas industry. Wind power is now a fixture in the Kneehill County hills and skies. We are also part of the Canadian Badlands tourism group. Kneehill County borders the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller and Rosebud Theatre in Wheatland County, which both play a large part in the tourism of the region. Camping is very popular in our area, which Kneehill County has four overnight campgrounds under its umbrella (Keivers, Braconnier Dam, Swalwell, and Torrington). Municipal campgrounds in Acme, Carbon, Linden and Three Hills are all very busy.
Reporting to the Director of Community Services, this position administers all Parks, Cemeteries and Agricultural Service Board (ASB) programs and services, and maintains the office of the Agricultural Fieldman under the ASB Act. The position carries out the vision and strategic plan of Council and ASB through administering, developing, implementing and maintaining all related programs and services, including but not limited to budgeting, policy & program development, staffing, safety, managing various contracts and contractors, and capital & asset management.
What do we offer?
Competitive pay (starting wage $102,241)
Group Health Benefits
Local Authority Pension Plan
Engaging and empowering work environment
Strong policies and supportive atmosphere
Open Door policy for ideas and creativity
Fun and friendly co-workers
Training and Development Opportunities
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Administer departmental budgeting, project, and capital & asset management.
- Administer departmental policies and bylaws as directed through Council and the ASB.
- Develops and presents reports, technical expertise, support, policies and other documentation to Council, management, staff, boards, committees, and other stakeholders.
- Have a strong understanding of tendering and contract management processes.
- Manages departmental full time and seasonal staff, contractors, and consultants.
- Develops and administers departmental programming and services as directed through Council.
- Develops ASB and/or other meeting packages and hosts as required.
- Administers department safety program in consultation with OH&S Officer.
- Administers legislative responsibilities as per the Alberta Agricultural Service Board Act. Alberta Weed Control Act, Alberta Agricultural Pest Act, Alberta Soil Conservation Act, and Cemeteries Act.
- Must hold Alberta Pesticide Applicators License with Industrial, Landscape, Agriculture and Exterior Rodent Control application.
- Related technical diploma or degree
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written, communication skills
- Minimum 5-7 yrs. experience in municipal government and supervisory roles.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite of programs; working experience with ArcGIS and GPS.
- Strong technical writing skills and experience
- Good understanding of tourism, marketing and economic development
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Experience and knowledge in parks and landscaping as an asset
- Agricultural background is a necessity.
- Agricultural pest & weed identification and knowledge as it pertains to the acts.
- Strong understanding of the Acts under which the department operates including the ASB Act, Alberta Weed Control Act, Pest Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, Animal Health Act, Municipal Government Act, and Cemetery’s Act.
- Hold an Alberta Pesticide Applicator Certificate of qualification in the categories of industrial, agriculture and landscape; 3-5 years’ experience a necessity.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driving license
- Experience towing trailers, operating heavy-duty equipment and off road vehicles.
Does this sound like you? Are you interested in getting to know us better? Check out our website: https://kneehillcounty.com/
Think you may want to join our team?
Send an introductory letter, along with your resume providing examples of your most exciting achievements, as well as one story that highlights your creative leadership or program development. This letter should also provide information as to how you match our list of qualifications.
Attention: Jessie Kasha –HR Coordinator
Re: Manager of Parks and Agricultural Services
P.O. Box 400
1600 2 Ave Three Hills, AB T0M 2A0
Closing Date: December 31, 2020
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. COVID-19 Protocols will be adhered to during this process.
Additional Job Information:
Position Type: Management
Posted Date: Dec 04, 2020
Closing Date: Dec 31, 2020