Birch Hills County is an agricultural community in Northern Alberta. If you enjoy the rural lifestyle, Birch Hills has an abundance of outdoor adventures awaiting you. Birch Hills County is recruiting for a Manager of Infrastructure. We are looking for an individual who works well within a team environment, and who can implement a best-practices approach to improve service levels and create efficiencies within the department. This individual will have at least 5 years experience within a municipal government and/or a designation as a certified engineering technologist, plus successful experience supervising staff and contractors.
Non Bridge File Culvert Maintenance and Replacement
Dust Control/Road Stabilization Program
Fleet Maintenance/GPS System
GIS & Camera Systems
Hamlet Street Maintenance
Subordinate Performance Evaluations
1. Recommends to the Director of Public Works on goals, objectives, policies and programs in areas of public works and programs in the areas of road maintenance and infrastructure including long term Capital Plans and Annual Capital Budget. Ensures that all injuries, property damage, unsafe work conditions or practices are
2. Is accountable to the Director of Public Works for the implementation and monitoring of the bylaws, policies and programs approved by Council affecting areas of service within the Public Works Department; evaluates and recommends changes to the Director of Public Works as required. Reports on these issues at least quarterly, or as requested by the Director of Public Works.
3. Coordinates all activities of divisions within the department; recommends to the Director of Public Works any necessary changes in the duties or authority of divisions and the department. Ensures that regular department staff meetings occur.
4. Supervise contracted services and ensure that services are provided in accordance with approved contracts and organization goals, objectives, policies, procedures and priorities, and that safe working practices are undertaken.
5. Supervise subordinate staff and ensure that staff are adequately trained for the duties they undertake, including training in safety policies and procedures. Ensure that services are provided in accordance with organization goals, objectives, policies, procedures and priorities and that safe working practices are undertaken.
6. Supports the development of budgets and establishment of financial controls. Working with the Director of Public Works in coordinating budget information. Ensures that revenues and expenditures are within the Board-approved budgets.
7. Within established personnel policies and budget guidelines, and subject to the approval of the Director of Public Works, hires, suspends or terminates staff within the department.
8. Investigate inquires and complaints received, forward recommendations to the Director of Public Works where appropriate, schedule any necessary response, and respond to the originator in a courteous and prompt manner.
9. Performs other related duties as may be requested by Council or as delegated to its committees or by the Chief Administrative Officer.
Extensive knowledge of practices in the maintenance and construction techniques in the area of road maintenance; 5-years’ experience within a municipal government and/or designation as a certified engineering technologist within a related discipline, plus successful experience in supervising staff including contractors and in responding to concerns of elected officials and the public.
Preference will be given to those with;
Emergency Management Training
Experience operating, maintaining, and repairing heavy equipment & vehicles
Experience with Utilities & Water Plant operations
Please respond in confidence quoting Competition # 2022-05 to:
Director of Public Works