The mission of the Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA) is to “empower its members through proactive leadership, strategic partnerships, effective advocacy and collective business services”. RMA Insurance (a subsidiary of the Rural Municipalities of Alberta) is one of Canada’s oldest municipal/public sector insurance programs and has been protecting members since 1955. RMA Insurance’s portfolio insures over $12B in assets and over 13,000 vehicles, making it one of the largest as well.
Reporting to the Manager of Insurance, the Manager of Claims is responsible for the direct leadership of claims staff and Risk Management team, while supporting the objectives of producing excellent member and policyholder experiences. The Manager of Claims will lead the claims department to ensure that claims are dealt with efficiently and to provide sound practical advice to our members. While at the same time ensuring preventable claims are used to focus the Risk Advisor team to prevent future losses of similar nature. Key responsibilities include develops implementation plans in support of organizational development or process change, employing sound change management practices and acts upon key performance indicators that align with the goals and objectives of the claims department and Association.
The Manager of Claims will have access to highly confidential member and association information, and it is expected, and required information be held in the strictest confidence.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide reports as required to the Genesis Boards, Committees, and Executive team on the status and direction of the claims program.
- Assists in the development of practices, policies, procedures and standards for handling and servicing claims.
- Assures that sufficient claims handling capacity and skills are in place by monitoring volumes and developing Claims staff.
- Manages and assists in providing claims and technical training.
- Handle claim file loads as directed by the Manager of Insurance.
- Liaises with the Control Adjuster to exchange information and provide direction.
- Liaises with underwriting, servicing, and risk management of RMA Insurance personnel to provide evaluations of risk underwriting from a claim’s perspective.
- Assist in establishing claims authority guidelines, compliance initiatives and business strategy planning.
- Provide progressive claims handling strategies to improve the quality of claims service and reduce claims processing costs.
- Management and control of adjusting costs and expenses through liaison with Control Adjuster and monitoring of adjusters’ activities.
- Management and control of litigation costs through monitoring legal activities.
- Provision of service excellence by understanding the unique customer needs of the Reciprocal programs.
- Directs and mentor’s claim’s staff, including performance evaluation management in conjunction with the Manager of Insurance.
- Understands and contributes to key functional areas across the organization, including underwriting, marketing, sales, source resource knowledge with colleagues.
- Fosters an atmosphere within the workplace conducive to Association values, teamwork, and member focus.
- Supervise and modify as needed, claims protocols as required to improve RMA Programs.
- Ensure that all claims vendors are meeting internal protocols for member service.
- Implement and Evolve RMA Insurance Claims Strategy.
- Participate in RMA Insurance/Genesis leadership team.
The successful candidate will possess excellent customer service skills, be a strong team player, have attention to detail and maintain integrity in all dealings. They must be analytical, decisive, and able to work independently while maintaining the parameters of assigned authority; utilizing company technology to track and expedite all transactions.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field and a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) or Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation with a minimum of 10 years claims adjusting experience and a background at the management level.
- Experience in Liability/Casualty/Property claims adjusting with associated technical expertise.
- Field Claims adjusting experience.
- Enthusiastically supports change, shares experiences and actively seeks new challenges.
- Strong Business Planning and negotiation skills.
- Strong Communication skills, including listening, interviewing, negotiating and must be able to adapt in changing environments.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage conflicting priorities in an effective manner.
- Proactive and positive approach to member service ensuring that all enquiries are effectively dealt with in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills enabling an effective ability to deal with conflict and difficult situations.
- Flexibility and ability to problem solve.
- Strong commitment to Association goals and philosophy.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to strive for a solution despite obstacles from others and/or uncontrollable situations.
- Professional judgement and ethical principles.
- Strong technology skills
File Quality/Customer Service
- Responsible for monitoring and facilitating the collection of subrogated claims.
- Responsible for the management of expense as per Board standards.
- Reconcile annual aggregate overpayments to partners in a timely manner.
Technical Expertise and Support
- In preparation for QA file reviews, review billings and fees in accordance with establishing billing expectations and Association standards.
- Handle client complaints, monitor, and ensure resolutions reached.
- Review and analyze adjusters’ reports, ensuring compliance/accuracy and efficiency.
- Review fees for accuracy and quality.
- Acts in a consultant and advisory capacity on claim matters and technical issues such as: liability determination, investigation, policy interpretation, settlement negotiation, and reserve establishment for claims.
- Provides file review feedback and in some cases direction on file completion.
- Prepare and discuss performance reviews with staff members.
- Provides guidelines and feedback regarding performance.
- Support technical training and other development requirements.
- Monitor and access resources (capacity) vs. volume in conjunction with the management team.
- Responsible for the recruitment and selection of property adjusters.
- Support the vendor management and effective partnerships with dedicated partners; running performance overviews and producing monthly revenue reports to track trends.
- Special projects as assigned by management.
- Responsible for the communication of corporate policies and ensuring compliance of claims with vendors/partners.
- RMA offers a competitive salary and full benefits commensurate on experience and post-secondary education.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.
Candidates must submit, in confidence, a covering letter and resume detailing qualifications, work experience, and reference to Monica An, HR Analyst.
We thank all applicants in advance of their submissions, but only those chosen for an interview will be notified.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jan 20, 2021
Closing Date: Feb 20, 2021