Manager, Governance Services/Deputy Clerk
Legislative and Legal Services
Competition number: 274-2021-EXT-LLS
Closing date: 09/12/2021
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Legislative and Legal Services
Pay range: $58.72 to $73.41 per hour ($106,870 to $133,606 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Are you ready to take on an exciting opportunity to work with a ridiculously talented team of professionals to support local governance? To support decision-making that will impact our community’s residents every day of their lives?
Strathcona County is a dynamic and vibrant community, located in Alberta's Capital Region. As a specialized municipality, Strathcona is made up of the urban area of Sherwood Park and a large adjacent rural area of farms, acreages and smaller hamlets. The County is also home to a major regional industrial area.
Strathcona County believes that our most valuable resource is people: energetic, innovative employees who care equally about providing great service for municipal residents and working with others who strive to be the best they can be on the job. Strathcona County offers employees the opportunity to build rich and meaningful careers and make a difference in the community.
At Strathcona County, we offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours and incredible career opportunities! This is a work environment you won’t find elsewhere.
This permanent full-time position is responsible for ensuring open and transparent local government through the development of sound systems and practices to support the governance activities of Council, Council Committees and quasi-judicial tribunals; ensuring that all decisions of the municipality are made within legislative provisions, policies and bylaws respecting the roles and responsibilities of local government, in addition to leading a team of four to six members.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Manage Council and Priorities Committee meetings and provide procedural advice as required
- Provide Council and Committee support by ensuring the performance of those duties identified in the Municipal Government Act; ensuring that Council has complied with all legislative requirements regarding the validity of Council decision-making; and establishing a framework of bylaws, policies and procedures regarding agenda development, meeting procedures, etc.
- Responsible for Council Boards and Committees management, ensuring they are established in accordance with the Municipal Government Act; developing processes and procedures to ensure ongoing support of Council boards and committees; effective appointment of public members-at-large to these boards and committees
- Manage tribunals, including the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and the Assessment Review Board
- Responsible for the development and delivery of training to County administration and elected officials in the area of Council meeting management; developing and implement templates, processes and procedures applicable to Council and Priorities Committee meetings and promote and assist departments in the use of technology tools in other committees and quasi-judicial boards
- Develop practices, policies and procedures to promote accessibility of the County’s website for Council records; make recommendations to improve visibility on County website and department webpage
Skills and Abilities
- Experience working with rules of order and with an elected body
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to provide accurate, clear and concise recommendations and supporting analysis in written and oral presentations to Council, Executive Team, Directors, and senior department representatives
- Excellent plain language drafting skills
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and experience working with them at a local government level
- Knowledge of administrative law principles and the rules of natural justice as they apply to quasi-judicial boards
- Strategic, critical thinking and analytical skills, including ability to analyze a variety of inputs and risks, resolve issues, solve problems, and recommend actions aligned with the County's strategic plans
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- A University degree in governance, law, political science, public administration or a related field
- 10 years related experience, with at least 5 years of leadership experience
- A graduate level degree, municipal government certifications, or participation in the municipal internship program is an asset
- Experience in local government organizations is an asset
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
To apply, go to: https://www.strathcona.ca/council-county/careers/opportunity/274-2021-ext-lls/
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #274-2021-EXT-LLS closes September 12, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Aug 23, 2021
Closing Date: Sept 12, 2021