MANAGER, FACILITIES AND PARKS
An opportunity exists to join the Town of Slave in a full-time temporary position for one-year (12 months). Reporting to the Director of Community Services, the Manager of Facilities and Parks is responsible for the development, operations, maintenance and general activities of multiple areas , including, parks, open space, facilities and other duties as assigned. This position performs technical, responsible, and professional work at a management level.
EMPLOYEES THAT REPORT DIRECTLY TO THIS POSITION:
Multi-Rec Centre and Parks Supervisor, Facilities Maintenance Operators
Key Responsibilities Include:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Ensures the safe operation of facilities and provision of services for the public and staff members.
- Uses initiative and creativity in managing projects from inception to implementation and delegates assignments to subordinates;
- Manage multiple priorities and demonstrates effective leadership;
- Acts as a liaison to the community, understanding the public’s needs and helping to secure and extend public support and interest;
- At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with the elected officials, his or her supervisor, LARPD staff, staff from other agencies, and the public.
- Plans, coordinates, manages and directs a combination of major phases of the District’s services and operations.
- Researches and provides analysis, makes recommendations, and submits reports to his/her supervisor.
- Initiates action on projects and operational procedures that result in improvements, efficiencies, effectiveness and/or enhancements to the District’s services.
- Exercises fiscal control over multiple areas including budget development, monitoring, evaluating, reporting and taking the necessary actions to maintain and meet fiscal goals.
- 3 years’ supervisory experience in municipal setting
- 3 years’ experience operating and maintaining municipal facilities
- Must possess competent computer abilities and be familiar with Microsoft Suite related software
- Possess competent understanding of horticultural practices
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Post-Secondary Education in a Recreation Administration related program
- Hold a current class 5 driver’s license and current First Aid with CPR
- Facility Maintenance Training
- Proven experience in the coordination and planning of capital projects.
- RFP Arena Operator 1 and 2.
- Principles, practices, equipment, methods and techniques associated with the development and maintenance of parks, athletic fields, open space, trails, riparian areas, historical structures and facilities management.
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, training, coaching, assigning work, evaluating work and administering progressive discipline.
- Principles, practices, equipment, methods and techniques associated with: landscape maintenance; irrigation; the care of trees, plants and shrubs; and the treatment of plant disease.
- Integrated pest management programs and the chemicals used in horticultural activities, including pesticides and fertilizers.
- Principles, practices, equipment, methods and techniques associated with facilities maintenance and facilities repairs including electrical, plumbing, mechanical and structural systems.
- Principles, practices, training, equipment, methods and techniques used to comply with the occupational hazards and safety regulations associated with parks, open spaces and facilities operations.
- Principles and practices of operational and capital budget development and administration.
Note: The above is not an intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities and activities required for this position but gives a general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Occasional light lifting.
- Long periods of sitting.
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Good lighting, temperature, and noise control.
- Normal working day consists of a maximum of 7.5 hours; however, occasional extended hours may be required.
The Town of Slave Lake offers an attractive total compensation package.
How to apply:
Send your cover letter and resume (ensuring to include the job title in your email subject heading) to:
- The successful candidate will be required to provide professional references, a Criminal Records Check and clean Driver’s Abstract.
Human Resources, Town of Slave Lake
10 Main Street S.W. P.O. Box 1030, Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A0
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, we will contact only those under consideration
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Aug 18, 2022
Closing Date: Oct 31, 2022