Edmonton is one of Canada’s big cities, a provincial capital, a leader in environmental stewardship, a destination of choice for people, and home to over 34,000 businesses and over one million residents.
The Manager, Economic Initiatives (Job#43613) leads the City’s work with respect to strategic business-focused initiatives and relationships that advance Business Friendly Edmonton, the City’s enhanced business retention and expansion services. This includes one-on-one business support services, regulatory pathfinding, investment attraction, and helping innovators to use the city as a lab. This all contributes to the growth and vibrancy of the local economy.
Your success will be measured by your ability to achieve results in a respectful, inclusive and service-minded way.
Management and Out-of-Scope positions at the City of Edmonton are being reviewed for possible inclusion in the Civic Service Union 52 bargaining unit. If this position is impacted, the incumbent will be notified accordingly.
- University degree in Business Administration, Planning or a related area
- 7 years related experience in progressive leadership roles in a mix of public and private sector roles
- Extensive knowledge and demonstrated skills in the areas of change management, performance measurement, policy development, business case development, strategic and business planning; certifications in these areas is an asset
- An understanding of complex economic development issues and gaps and the ability to determine and implement actions to resolve them
- Strong supervisory experience delivering on a complex organizational scope and outcomes
- Excellent customer service skills based on empathy and seeking to understand the perspectives of others
- An innovative, creative thinker with a strong commitment to results
- An understanding of the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion as they pertain to economic development; GBA+ training is an asset
- A proven leader with the ability to build buy-in and influence diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrates the key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator
- Proven ability to prioritize, make decisions and present unique solutions for strategic and emerging issues
- Strong business acumen and negotiation skills to satisfy competing priorities and expectations of senior leadership and other staff, City Council, and other stakeholders
- The ability to react successfully to ambiguous and complex business issues and opportunities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to write and present Council and Committee reports and correspondence
- The candidate must have resources to attend meetings and site visits in the City and around the Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca
: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j
) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt
Up to 1 permanent full-time position
Hours of Work
: 36.9 hours per week. This position is eligible for the Earned Day Off program, and may have the option of a hybrid work arrangement.
: $84,597 - $120,852 (Annually)