This position is responsible for the management and administration of all programs and services delivered by the Agriculture Services department including agricultural programs, environmental conservation programs, and park operations.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Ensure successful delivery of programs, service levels, and projects by the Agriculture Services department, while striving for high quality standards, continuous improvement, and cost efficiency.
• Manage the recruitment, performance management and professional development of all staff in the department, within an overall corporate context.
• Lead the development and implementation of the annual Department Business and Operational Plans and implement the County’s project and change management framework to support successful project completion.
• Recommend strategic goals and initiatives for the department within the context of Corporate priorities.
• Monitor and report on department service levels to Senior Management, Council and the public utilizing appropriate systems.
• Ensure that department activities are adequately resourced by preparing, monitoring and controlling the department’s annual operating and capital budget.
• Prepare 3-year financial forecasts and 5-year capital expenditure plans for the department.
• Research and prepare business cases for new programs or program improvements and present recommendations to Senior Management and Council.
• Oversee the development of policies, procedures, directives and internal work process in the context of Sturgeon County’s Policy Framework.
• Collaborate with other departments to elevate the profile of the agricultural sector in Sturgeon County.
• Work with the Agricultural Service Board to develop strategies, initiatives and programs aimed at achieving the Boards’ mandate; Provide administrative support to the board and implement initiatives and complete information requests.
• Actively participate in working groups for regional initiatives including the Regional Agricultural Master Plan.
• Respond to public inquiries and complaints on agricultural or environmental matters.
• Provide advice and guidance to other departments on agricultural and environmental matters including land use planning and environmental resource conservation and management within an agricultural context.
• Serve as an appointed inspector under the Agricultural Service Board Act, Weed Control Act, Agricultural Pests Act and Soil Conservation Act.
• Ensure that the Agriculture Services department meets all of its legislated obligations under the Explosives Act, the Wildlife Act, the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, the Pest Control Products Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any other federal and provincial legislation that regulates activities performed by the Agriculture Services Department.
• Ensure the adequate management of records, electronic documents and information in accordance with the Sturgeon County Records and Information Management System.
• Promote a positive safety culture within the Agriculture Services Department and adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
• Perform other projects and duties as required.
• A degree or diploma in Agriculture, Environmental Sciences or a related discipline.
• 10 years of agriculture-related experience with a minimum of 5 years of supervisory or management-level experience.
• Experience in the delivery of municipal programs and services is highly desired.
• Agricultural Fieldman Certification through the Alberta Association of Agricultural Fieldmen or the ability to obtain.
• Professional Agrologist or Registered Technologist in Agrology designation through the Alberta Institute of Agrologists is considered an asset.
• Pesticide Applicator License- Industrial, Agriculture and Landscape classes.
• Class 5 Drivers License.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Strong report writing and presentation skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Self motivated with the ability to work effectively in a team environment and ability to work independently.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and ability to mentor and train others.
• Knowledge of financial management and budgeting practices.
• Knowledge of the local agricultural sector and agricultural practices.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $109,126.05 - $143,601.99 per annum
Posted Date: Jan 30, 2020
Closing Date: Feb 10, 2020
Job ID: 29-2020