The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality. To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Reporting to the Director of Legislative Services, the Legislative Officer is responsible for providing guidance and coordination of corporate governance and legislated services for council, council boards and committees, quasi-judicial boards, elections, and census.
The Legislative Officer is in constant communication, both written and verbal, with stakeholders and a liaison with council, council boards and committees, staff, and the public. They assist in ensuring that council, council boards and committees, quasi-judicial boards have the required information to make decisions and ensures that those decisions are recorded.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Assist with research into and interpretation of applicable provincial legislation, regulation, municipal bylaws, and policies and provide recommendations.
- Provide overall procedural advice for the orderly proceeding of meetings.
- Prepare for and attend council, board and committee meetings as required including preparing meeting agendas in conjunction with the Executive Leadership Team, advertisements, hearing notifications, decisions, and recording of hearings.
- Record and prepare meeting minutes with complex resolutions at an efficient and accurate level, and provide a permanent record of council decisions.
- Ensure post-meeting processes are followed, including uploading bylaws and other public documents to the website and intranet site.
- Coordinate the annual organizational meeting of council, where councillors and members at large are appointed to internal and external boards and committees.
- Act as a liaison between Legislative Services and other departments to increase the effectiveness of the agenda process and make recommendations to expedite the resolution of concerns, questions, and issues.
- Work with highly sensitive issues and documents.
- Facilitate activities for bylaw review, drafting, and editing with employees across the organization ensuring cross-organizational consistency and compliance with standards.
- Record and prepare complex decisions of the Boards.
- Effectively manage special projects.
- Research, analyze and prepare correspondence and reports (both corporate and technical).
- Fulfill the duties as required for coordinating municipal elections and bi-elections, including if assigned, acting as Returning Officer or Substitute Returning Officer.
- Foster positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Monitor and review legislative changes, in particular changes to the Municipal Government Act, Local Authorities Election Act, Determination of Population Regulation and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Where applicable participate in the formulation of the County’s response to changes in legislation.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business and residents of Rocky View County.
- Applicants must possess a degree in a related discipline (public administration / public policy preferable) with a minimum five years of progressively responsible and diversified office experience in a government environment.
- Demonstrated ability to write and compile reports for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated above-average skills in written communication including the composition of minutes, letters, and reports, and in grammar, spelling and clarity.
- Experience in policy analysis, planning and development.
- Working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, Local Authorities Election Act, Determination of Population Regulation, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Experience facilitating and coordinating work on behalf of others and in service of multiple stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, working effectively under the pressure of time limitations and constraints.
- Woks well with the public and demonstrate the ability to be helpful, resourceful and knowledgeable.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and good judgment.
- Possess experience and confidence in public speaking.
- Possess solid knowledge of municipal legislative processes and requirements and demonstrated business political acumen skills.
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership, collaboration and team skills, demonstrating initiative, sound judgment, the ability to work independently and problem solving expertise.
- Experience project managing an election or census (municipal, provincial or federal) (asset).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification (asset).
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to https://www.rockyview.ca/careers.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $73,940 - $86,880
Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Posted Date: Mar 05, 2021
Closing Date: Mar 22, 2021
Job ID: J0321-0169