Key Responsibilities Include:
• Perform grounds keeping activities such as, but not limited to: grass cutting, lawn aeration, raking, weed control, brush clearing, tree pruning, garbage collection, planting, and watering.
• Safely operate various equipment to perform work including, but not limited to: push and riding lawn mowers, rototillers, tractors, weed trimmers, utility terrain vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, pickup trucks and power tools.
• Apply herbicides in accordance with all relevant legislation.
• Record details of work performed, including materials used, weather conditions and locations.
• Maintain related equipment and perform minor repairs. This includes preventative maintenance of department rental equipment.
• Assist with horticultural and arboricultural tasks or inquiries such as tree planting and pest identification. Investigate complaints and report on actions taken.
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor. Ex) shop tasks, inventory, cleaning, etc.
• Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
• Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with supervisor, co-workers and the public.
• Strong mechanical knowledge and aptitude to repair and maintain lawn maintenance equipment.
• Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare written reports.
• Familiarity with the Alberta Township Survey (ATS) System.
• Ability to identify noxious and prohibited noxious weed species.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge of pesticides.
• Experience in lawn care and property maintenance.
• Experience in equipment operation.
• Experience with plant and insect identification.
• A current Industrial Pesticide Applicator certification or Authorized Assistant certification (or the ability to obtain).
• Valid class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
• Standard First Aid certification (or the ability to obtain).
• Defensive Driving certification (or the ability to obtain).
• Ability to wear a half mask with organic carbon filters when handling and applying herbicides, and completion of a Respiratory User Screening Form as per the CSA Z94.4-11.
• Ability to conduct strenuous work in an outdoor setting and perform medium lifting of 25 kilograms.
• Experience with trailer hookup, cargo securement and towing.
• Completion of some post secondary education in horticulture, arboriculture, or related discipline would be an asset.
• Experience driving a pickup on gravel roads would be considered an asset.
Please submit your application by email quoting the competition number (Comp# 05-2020) in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $21.50-$25.14
Position Type: Temporary Full Time
Posted Date: Dec 31, 2019
Closing Date: Jan 10, 2020