The Town of Redcliff, a thriving horticultural and industrial based community of approximately 5500 progressive residents, with excellent recreation facilities, presently has the following position available with the Planning and Operations Department.
(Full-time – 40 hours per week)
Reporting to the Operations and Planning Director, the Landfill Manager will lead, mentor, and manage operations of the Redcliff Cypress Regional Landfill. The Landfill Manager will provide coordination, field supervision, and professional leadership related to the delivery of Class 2 Landfill and compost facility services.
Resumes must be clearly marked with the position you are applying for and forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Town of Redcliff
Resumes will also be accepted by fax at (403) 548-6623 or email at email@example.com.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Will coordinate the operation and maintenance functions of the Redcliff Regional Landfill and composting facility.
• Will participate in reviewing and cost estimating projects and purchases for the department, while making recommendations in respect to allocating funds, resources, and personnel.
• Will coordinate and supervise various contracted services for the municipality.
• Will provide for staff development through regular feedback on performance, mentoring, and training opportunities.
• Will participate in all department human resources issues. This will include staff hiring, staff performance, evaluation reviews and disciplinary matters.
• Will participate in the perpetual development and implementation of effective risk management and health and safety programs for the department.
• Provide prompt and appropriate response to requests, inquiries, or concerns raised by the public including follow-up reports as required.
• Will contribute to the development of policies and procedures and provide recommendations and reports to the Redcliff Regional Landfill.
• Will participate in the preparation of the departments operating and capital budget.
• Assist with other duties related to the operation and future initiatives of the Redcliff Regional Landfill and compost facility.
• Ensures proper procedures are followed and inspections conducted and documented for the purposes of risk management and loss prevention for the Town. This includes ensuring established
procedures and legislation are followed, and inspections are conducted and documented for the purpose of protecting the Town for liability as required under the Alberta Environment
Protection and Enhancement Act.
• Fulfills the requirements of the “Manager” in the agreement on managing the landfill operations which was entered into by Cypress County and the Town of Redcliff.
• Reports to the Landfill board regarding the operations of the landfill and to implement new programs and facilities as approved by the landfill board.
• Coordinates with member municipalities to ensure the proper disposal of waste.
• Reviews and provides recommendations on contract awards. Coordinate and negotiate contract provisions and approve as needed.
• Maintains certifications required for landfill and compost operations as mandated by the approving authority.
Education, Training, and Skills:
• Relevant education, training and/or experience in municipal operations.
• Possess an Alberta Environment Certified Landfill Operator certificate
• Possess or have the ability to obtain an Alberta Environment Certified Compost Facility Operator certificate.
• Have the ability to obtain MOLO (Manager of Landfill Operations) certificate.
• Familiar with Landfill leachate management methods and run-off/run-on control strategies.
• Must maintain knowledge of all Municipal polices, and Provincial and Federal compliance legislation.
• Experience that demonstrates the ability to work in a team environment, shows self motivation, and demonstrates sound judgement and decision- making abilities.
• Must demonstrate strong public relations and customer services skills.
• Must be willing and able to upgrade skills or qualifications as necessary to meet the changing requirements of the position.
• Must have demonstrated ability to supervise and coordinate staff and related resources effectively.
• Direct work experience in a project management capacity, proven experience in strategic planning, risk management and change management.
• Knowledge of materials, equipment, and methods used in a class 2 Landfill.
• Knowledge of materials, equipment, and methods used in an aerated static pile composting operation.
• Knowledge of construction safety procedures and awareness of Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
• Ability to read and interpret any documentation related to engineering and planning areas.
• Must have good written and verbal communication skills and the demonstrated ability to deal with positive results. Ability to think critically, analyze complex
situations, and recommend course of action. Must have the ability to influence and lead while maintaining a positive stress tolerance.
• Must demonstrate positive conflict management skills.
• Must have the ability to plan, organize, delegate, and negotiate.
• Must have a proven track record as a self-starter and problem solver.
• Ability to lead a team and build positive working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong communication skills with a focus on transparency, team participation, and safety.
• Proven Ability to prepare accurate cost estimates, budget related data, and project management documentation.
• Relevant computer experience in Microsoft Office/Excel applications would be advantageous.
Standard of Performance:
• Maintains confidentiality and gains and maintains the trust of Council and staff.
• Demonstrates an ongoing willingness to learn, adapt, and grow.
• Is able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Is able to take initiative to identify and resolve problems.
• Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy in the work performed.
• Has demonstrated pride in the work they do.
• Is able to work collaboratively with and communicate effectively and positively with other team members, departments, and external municipal and provincial
• Consistently demonstrates the ability to interpret and apply relevant municipal/provincial legislation and bylaws/policies/procedures.
• Demonstrates professionalism by following proper code of ethics, work habits, dress standards, language usage, office policies and protocols, and is courteous to
• Shows flexibility to alternate between different types of work and responsibilities.
• Is able to manage time effectively, to juggle multiple deadlines and tasks, and to work within tight timeframes.
• Shows good verbal and written communication skills.
• Works independently and unsupervised, shows self-motivation, and demonstrates sound judgement and decision-making abilities.
• Is able to make sound decisions by using rational and logical judgement that reflects an understanding of the consequences of decisions.
• Has demonstrated skill in the use of business software including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and
• Takes the initiative in pursuing education relative to the changing needs of the position.
Salary range for this position will be $ 70,600 to $ 86,166. The Town of Redcliff also offers an attractive benefits package and participation in its pension plan.
Interested individuals are invited to submit, in confidence, a resume listing their qualifications, experience, education, and references by May 20, 2022.