The Technician provides a high level of administrative, organizational and basic advisory support for the Health and Safety Program and the Commercial Transportation Safety Program ensuring that both programs meet legislative documentation and monitoring requirements. The Technician will report formally to the Director, Employee Relations and will receive day to day direction from the Health and Safety Advisor. The Technician will work in a collaborative, professional and cooperative manner that ensures that the customer service best practices and County values and objectives are adhered to.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Hazard Assessment Support
- Oversee Job Hazard Assessment review process with stakeholders
- Update Job Hazard Assessments to include changes generated from consultation and review with stakeholders
- Participate in inspections of County Facilities
- Provide guidance on corrective actions, where appropriate
- Follow up on Corrective actions
- Schedule Fire Drills at all County Facilities
- Schedule and participate in meetings with wardens nd first aider teams
- Observe and document fire drill activities
Health and Safety Committee
- Perform annual chemical audit at all facilities
- Update Safety Data Sheets binders for all facilities as required.
- Prepare agendas, take minutes, update the action planner, distribute and post minutes and action planners for the H&S committees (Corporate and Fire) and other ad hoc committees related to health and safety and commercial transportation safety as needed.
- Book meeting rooms and room set up for committee meetings.
- Assist with nomination and voting process for Committee representatives.
- Process new hire orientation sheets and create new job profiles in eCompliance.
- Receive health and safety training certificates and driver evaluations, enter information into eCompliance (training tracker), and upload documents to Personnel files.
- Coordinate annual driver abstract collection process, enter information into eCompliance, upload abstracts and consents to Personnel files and send monthly reminders to managers regarding expiring driver licenses.
- Process incident reports by scanning, uploading, and entering information into the tracker system.
- Receive driver time records, spot check, follow up on those not received, and file.
- Provide support for Working Alone device program by keeping master data set up to date and couriering devices to vendor as required.
- Maintain safety work boot reimbursement spreadsheet.
- Coordinate health and safety and driver records for destruction as per the Records Retention Procedure.
- Ensure that documents on the internal H&S and Commercial Transportation pages (ACRES) are up to date.
Documentation and Reporting
- Locate and organize documents required for annual health and safety audit and for commercial transportation safety audits.
- Coordinate interviews and site visits for the audits.
- Prepare templates, letters, forms and documents for the health and safety program and commercial transportation program as needed.
- Format reports and presentations as needed for the programs.
- Pull reports from eCompliance.
- Prepare statistic reports.
- Coordinate and schedule appointments, meetings and other special time commitments. Apply independent judgment in evaluating requests against established guidelines provided.
- Gather internal data and information for departments and projects.
- Assist in preparing PowerPoint presentations.
Completion of high school completion along with a minimum four years (4) years of progressively responsible and diversified experience in administrative work. This position requires someone who is passionate about the health and safety of employees.
- Enrollment in and/ or completion of Health and Safety Fundamentals Certificate or equivalent
- Experience in Health and Safety is strongly preferred coming into the position and it is required that the employee achieve a Health and Safety Certificate within the first two years of employment
- Standard First Aid certified.
- Fully competent with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Data reporting systems.
- Excellent attention to detail and good political judgement.
- Able to build good working relationships across the organization.
- Able to complete work in an atmosphere of short timelines and constantly changing priorities.
Visit the Rocky View County website careers section
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: June 18, 2020
Closing Date: June 28, 2020