The County of Forty Mile No. 8 is seeking a highly motivated individual with the desire and ability excel in the GIS (Geographic Information System) field. This position, under general direction of the GIS/IT Manager or his designate, is responsible for all aspects of the GIS System including mapping, data collection, analysis, and maintenance and other duties as assigned. The successful candidate should have a strong GIS and/or IT background, the ability to work well with other staff and the willingness to learn. The County of Forty Mile offers an attractive total compensation package, benefits, participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan, in addition to supporting learning and career development opportunities following the successful completion of the probation period. Wages as per the CUPE agreement.
The position information and required skills and abilities can be found on the County of Forty Mile website at 40mile.ca
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org This position will remain open until a suitable candidate can be found.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Ensures that all tasks in the position classification are performed efficiently.
May be required to assist in training other employees
Works efficiently on an independent basis and with limited supervision.
Could be requested to work varied hours to reduce operational down time as assigned and approved by management.
Ensures that all dealings with the public and other staff are conducted in a courteous and professional manner.
Ensures that all work performed within area of responsibility is conducted safely and in compliance with Occupational Health and Safety legislation and approved County policies and procedures.
Ensures that all operations within area of responsibility are conducted in compliance with all environmental and governmental legislation and County approved policies and procedures.
Trains to obtain qualifications necessary for advancement and to maintain existing qualifications.
Performs other related duties as assigned by GIS Analyst and/or designate.
Familiarize yourself with all County of Forty Mile No. 8 policies, manuals and standard operating procedures and processes. It is the employees’ responsibility to conduct their activities in accordance with the County of Forty Mile No. 8 policies and understand that breaching these standards may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Perform all work and daily duties in a safe manner following County of Forty Mile No. 8 Health and Safety Manual and Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Codes, as well as participation in regular scheduled safety and operational meetings.
May be required to assist in ensuring that all records in the system are properly maintained according to prescribed standards and government regulations.
Develop and produce GIS mapping products including ESRI products (ArcMAP, ArcGIS Pro, Server, portal, etc), ArcGIS Online and SDE.
Perform map and database query and analysis for report creation.
Collect, input, edit and verify data to the GIS system, create reports and maps.
Collect data using GPS and Orthophotos.
Ongoing creation and maintenance of GIS datasets
Technical support, information, training and guidance for County staff and user groups
Communicate orally and in writing in English and to follow oral and written directions
Conduct research and data collection, interpret plans, maps and photos.
Work with all departments to determine need and direction for projects
Ensure quality assurance on data to conform with GIS standards.
Strong problem solving, decision making and analytical skills; and ability to identify and correct potential safety hazards.
Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative, effective, productive working relationships.
Diploma in, or enrolled in related field. An equivalent experience and education may be considered
- Knowledge of related procedures and regulations
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and position related legislation is necessary
- Training in GIS mapping products including ESRI products (ArcMAP, ArcGIS Pro, Server, portal, etc), ArcGIS Online and SDE.
- Knowledge of Advanced IT: ADDS, SQL Server, VMware, Veeam Backup and Replication, VLAN’s, and Microsoft Office skills would be considered an asset
- Team orientated with an open communication style
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy and problem-solving skills
- Ability to successfully manage priorities
- Excellent organization, time management, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to ensure all work-related information is kept confidential as per policy and in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Must be able to perform the tasks, activities and functions associated with the position
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Strong prioritizing and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding department and municipal matters
- Minimum 5 years' experience in related field
- Valid Class 5 Drivers Licence
- Safety Conscious
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to provide a clean driver abstract
- Have or are able to maintain Standard First Aid
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: June 10, 2022
Closing Date: June 23, 2022