Located in the heart of Central Alberta, Red Deer County provides a wonderful mix of rural and urban amenities. Over 97% of County residents report high satisfaction with their quality of life, making Red Deer County a great destination for both living and working.
Red Deer County is a great place to work! It is much more than just a job to go to. It is a place where everyone plays an important role. At Red Deer County, we believe that mutual trust and respect, shared responsibility, and open communication are essential characteristics for creating personal success within a first-class working environment.
Red Deer County has a full-time/permanent position for a dynamic and highly motivated GIS SPECIALIST to supplement our ongoing focus in the delivery of customer service excellence.
Reporting to the Current Planning Manager, the GIS Specialist provides support to the Planning and Development Department as it relates to the County’s Geographic Information Systems and other Information Technology. Activities include liaison with various special groups, such as economic development partnerships, contractors, consultants, developers, engineering consulting firms, utility companies, municipalities, and the general public on a variety of municipal service issues, as is required to facilitate department operations.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and maintain regional data by ensuring strategic data needs are identified and addressed; provide sustainable and timely investment attraction data; and build and maintain a dataset.
- Perform ongoing maintenance of GIS datasets, such as rural 911 addresses and property information. Provide datasets to external service providers and the public as necessary.
- Assist and liaise with other County departments as it related to GIS Technology.
- Assist in the provision and coordination of the analysis of GIS data.
- Serve as the technical representative to the Red Deer County Services Agency and Central Region All Hazards Incident Management Team.
- Create, develop, and maintain Census Canada databases for Red Deer County; use maps and datasets for spatial analysis; prepare reports of geographical statistics based on spatial data.
- Serve as a drone (unmanned aerial cameral) pilot for the department.
- Perform occasional outside field work as required.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, principles and practices of OH&S legislation, and the County’s requirements, as these obligations pertain to this role.
- Undertakes other tasks, projects and responsibilities as required within the scope of the position as assigned.
- Completion of GIS Program diploma or degree, plug a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years’ experience. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Working knowledge of GIS concepts and analysis.
- Drone Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations (or willingness to obtain).
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent technical and report writing skills.
- Proficient with MS Office applications. Experience with ESRI and GEOCORTEX is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of municipal operations as it relates to utilities, engineering, construction, policies, and design is an asset.
- Valid Class 5 drivers’ license with acceptable drivers’ abstract.
- Acceptable Criminal Records Check.
- Experience in a local government environment is considered an asset.
Additional Job Information:
Position Type: Additional Information This is a permanent, full-time position (35 hours/week). Red Deer County offers a competitive compensation package, Health & Dental Benefits, Pension, learning opportunities, and work hours that enable a superior work-life balance.
Posted Date: Nov 22, 2021
Closing Date: Dec 03, 2021