Lethbridge County is recruiting for an experienced Journeyperson Heavy Equipment Technician to join our team. This is one of two HET Mechanics for the County whose role is to provide service, repairs and preventative maintenance for vehicles and heavy equipment as well as conduct CVIP inspections to comply with commercial vehicle requirements.
This full-time permanent position offers competitive wages, benefits after probation and LAPP defined benefit pension. Hours of work are Monday through Friday with only occasional overtime requirements. This position will be based out of Lethbridge County’s fleet shop in Picture Butte and will provide service throughout the County to ensure vehicles and heavy equipment are in good working order.
Competition #: CAS-2021-10
Reports To: Fleet Supervisor
Key Responsibilities Include:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform inspections, services, and preventative maintenance (PM) on all Lethbridge County equipment and vehicles. The mechanic must be able to diagnose a variety of electrical, mechanical and hydraulic problems and provide solutions for repairs.
- Assist the other mechanics and/or operators in daily repair or maintenance tasks in the shop as well as in the field.
- Test drive or operate equipment to determine problems, remedy them, and test repairs.
- Enter accurate and timely information on daily work sheets or into computer programs.
- Operate electronic diagnostic equipment.
- Complete daily safety documentation and comply with County policies/ procedures.
- Be an active participant and contributor in Lethbridge County’s Health and Safety Program.
- Provide input and feedback to grow and improve County work functions.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- A valid Alberta Journeyperson Heavy Equipment Technician Certificate - apprenticeship training for Truck and Transport Mechanic and Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (off-road) preferred. HET apprentices may be considered.
- A minimum of three (3) years progressive heavy equipment experience with a diverse fleet including heavy construction equipment, gravel trucks, agriculture equipment and vehicles.
- A minimum Class 3 with Q licence in good standing; A Class 1 license is preferred for testing equipment. An updated Driver Abstract will be required yearly to review driving record and ensure compliance for insurance purposes.
- Dependable with strong people skills and the ability to positively contribute to the County’s goals and objectives.
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently as required.
- Receive and take direction from supervisor and lead hands.
- Ability to use good judgment to interpret, analyze and modify methods and procedures.
- Ability to lift heavy items up to 50kg occasionally as required.
- Mechanically inclined with the ability to troubleshoot potential equipment issues.
- A high degree of professionalism and patience in dealing with internal customers, vendors and suppliers.
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- 2200 hours of work annually: Winter hours are 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday through Friday (40 hours). Summer hours are 7:00am - 4:30pm Monday – Thursday, 7:00am - 3:30pm on Friday (44 hours). This position will be based out of the Picture Butte Shop or in other locations within the County as required.
- This position is subject to overtime as required by the department to accomplish tasks in an efficient and timely manner.
- Working conditions may contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Fleet employees perform a variety of duties, inside the shop and outdoors involving moderate risks, discomfort or unpleasantness. Typical worksites include a high level of noise, dust, grease or mud, moving parts, vehicles or machines.
- Work requires physical exertion such as long periods of standing, recurring bending, crouching, stooping and reaching. Occasionally the lifting of heavy items (up to 50kgs) is required. Work requires average physical agility and dexterity.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required (e.g. reflective vest, CSA approved safety boots and hearing protection.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Class 6 Rate – 2022 CUPE 2800 Contract ($40.15/hr start rate, $42.05/hr job rate)
Posted Date: Dec 14, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 10, 2022
Job ID: CAS-2021-10