Capital Project Reporting and Accounting
• Responsible for project accounting and job costing for capital projects approved under the County’s annual capital budget, including preparing monthly funding entries for capital projects.
• Prepare and analyze monthly capital reports to accurately determine capital funding requirements including reserve drawdowns, deferred revenue, debt, capital contributions, and identify budget variances.
• Maintain the Tangible Capital Asset sub ledger for the County, verifies that items capitalized meet the criteria set out in the Tangible Capital Asset Policy.
• Tracking capital grant expenditure and completing statement of funding and expenditures for federal and provincial capital grants.
• Prepare year-end working papers for tangible capital asset, deferred capital revenue, reserves and long-term debt.
• Research current trend and draft policies and procedures in relation to Tangible Capital Assets. Capital Project Budgeting
• Lead the preparation of the County’s annual capital budget and the 5-year capital plan as required under the Municipal Government Act; including developing funding allocation strategies for capital projects.
• Lead and manage financial planning process for the 5-year capital plan through a collaborative effort with department managers.
• Develop written and visual presentations of the Capital Budget for approval by the Senior Leadership Team, County Council, and for public understanding.
• Research, develop and maintain long term financial planning through review and analysis of past trends, future capital budget forecasts, business plans, and policy issues. Financial Planning
• Analyze the impact of the County’s long term operating and capital plans on reserve balance, monitor reserve balance, determine the future reserve requirements and provide strategic advice on optimal reserve balance.
• Research on grant opportunities available for capital projects and operating initiatives, determine projects eligibility for potential grants and developing a good understanding of grants requirements and compliance.
• Responsible for debt reporting, borrowing analysis, bylaw preparation, debt management policy compliance and ownership of the respective processes.
• Support advanced financial modelling for utility rates, developers’ offsite levies, long term financial plans and others as needed.
Financial Systems and Processes
• Responsible to be a system expert for capital projects, review and document finance business and ERP system processes, including recommending and implementing process improvements to create efficiencies.
• Act as a resource to departments for training and ongoing support in relation to the County’s ERP system for capital project reporting and budgeting.
• Develop and maintain check lists and deadlines to ensure that financial information has been entered and reconciled prior to the development of monthly and annual financial reports for capital projects.
This position requires a post-secondary degree in Business, Economics, Accounting or related field. The candidate will be enrolled in or nearing completion of the CPA accounting designation. A minimum of 2 years experience in a related field is required.