Elections Advisor (52-2021)
Position Type: Full-Time, Temporary
Rate of Pay: $30.00 per hour
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Competition Close Date: July 2, 2021
Sturgeon County is looking for a temporary Elections Advisor to coordinate the planning, organization, administration, delivery, reporting, and evaluation for the upcoming municipal elections. This will include writing reports, developing short-term plans, leading election worker recruitment, developing training materials, training election workers, coordinating with vendors on election systems, preparing voting locations, procuring materials and supplies, coordinating the delivery of materials and supplies to voting stations, and coordinating logistics on election day.
This is a full-time, temporary position from July 19 to October 29, 2021.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Financial, Human Resources and Materials Coordination
Planning and Organizing of Voting Protocols
- Oversees voting station lease agreements and essential services.
- Develops a work plan for allocating resources.
- Manages the inventory, supply, and distribution of materials.
- Prepares materials for voting stations, including printing required forms and coordinating other election supplies.
- Leads election worker recruitment.
- Leads election worker training.
- Coordinates payment to election workers.
- Works with the County’s Health & Safety Advisor to communicate health and safety requirements for election workers and voters.
- Coordinates the return of election documents, furniture, and equipment.
- Coordinates payment of election-related invoices.
Electoral Process Improvement and Stakeholder Relations
- Liaises with the vendor for the provision of vote tabulators.
- Finalizes and orders ballots, ensuring accuracy of content.
- Prepares statutory public notices.
- Implements security measures as required for the protection of information, assets, election workers, and the public at the counting centre and at voting stations.
- Assigns election workers to voting stations and issues their supplies.
- Receives and processes requests for special ballots from eligible electors.
- Receives and safeguards completed special ballots.
- Coordinates voting station signage placement and removal.
- Coordinates and reports on the results of the vote.
- Prepares election materials for destruction in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act.
- Ensures that systems are in place with the Returning Officer to respond to inquiries from the public accurately and efficiently.
- Answers general inquiries from the public.
- Provides recommendations on improvements to the administration of the election.
- Proposes updates to election website content, as required.
- Previous election experience required.
- Class 5 driver’s license and access to personal vehicle.
- Knowledge or awareness of the Municipal Government Act, Local Authorities Election Act, and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills and communication skills (verbal and written).
- High level of organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to read legislation, bylaws, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to life objects of 25 pounds.
- Job is performed in both a normal office environment and remote setting.
- Candidates will be required to complete a written assessment and a verbal assessment as part of the recruitment process.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $30.00 / hour
Position Type: Full-Time Temporary
Posted Date: June 16, 2021
Closing Date: Jul 02, 2021
Job ID: 52-2021