Please note: While some travel will be required within the BREOC region, Economic Transition Coordinator(s) will be based out of Transition Centres located in Castor and Forestburg, Alberta.
The Battle River Economic Opportunities Committee (BREOC) is a collaborative partnership representing the County of Paintearth No. 18, Flagstaff County, the Towns of Castor and Coronation, the Villages of Forestburg, Halkirk and Heisler, and the greater region that surrounds them (the “Region”).
The Westmoreland Mine and Battle River Generating Station located within the Region face imminent closure and/or serious restructuring at best. This substantial economic and social impacts is resulting in a comprehensive socio-economic transition process. An important part of the process is the establishment of two Transition Centers located in Castor and Forestburg, Alberta. Currently BREOC is seeking to hire two Transition Center Assistants to support the implementation and coordination of various transition Initiatives.
Working under the guidance of the Transition Center Coordinator and in partnership with Urban Systems Ltd/Lochaven Management Consultants Ltd. each Transition Center Assistant is responsible for the following:
Key Responsibilities Include:
Primary Duties (Include)
This is a community support position with considerable opportunity to learn the dynamic field of economic development. Under the direction of the Transition Center Co-ordinator the successful candidate will undertake a number of key duties, including but not limited to the following:
• Support the Economic Transition Co-ordinator in his/her efforts to promote and facilitate transition within the region;
• Build relationships and trust with center clients through open and interactive communication;
• Receive, direct and relay telephone and e-mail messages, direct clients appropriately;
• Provide orientation and navigation services to clients eligible for self-serve services;
• Assist clients to prepare job search documents i.e. resume, cover letter, applications;
• Customer orientation and ability to adapt/respond to different types of clients and situations;
• Well organized with an ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively;
• Ability to understand, explain and promote employment and business opportunities;
• Computer skills including the ability to operate computerized accounting, spreadsheet, word processing software at a highly proficient level;
• Some university training (bachelor’s degree) or college diploma in business, economics, finance, public administration preferred;
• Experience working within an economic development department/environment;
• Proficient in the use of current and trending information technologies;