Please note: While some travel will be required within the BREOC region, Economic Transition Coordinator(s) will be based out of Transition Centres located in Castor and Forestburg, Alberta.
The Battle River Economic Opportunities Committee (BREOC) is a collaborative partnership representing the County of Paintearth No. 18, Flagstaff County, the Towns of Castor and Coronation, the Villages of Forestburg, Halkirk and Heisler, and the greater region that surrounds them (the “Region”).
The Westmoreland Mine and Battle River Generating Station located within the Region face imminent closure and/or serious restructuring at best. This substantial economic and social impacts is resulting in a comprehensive socio-economic transition process. An important part of the process is the establishment of two Transition Centres located in Castor and Forestburg, Alberta. Currently BREOC is seeking to hire two economic transition coordinators to assist in the implementation and coordination of various transition initiatives.
Working under the guidance of Urban Systems Ltd/Lochaven Management Consultants Ltd. and reporting to the Battle River Economic Opportunities Committee and Urban Systems Ltd/Lochaven Management Consultants Ltd, each Economic Transition Coordinator is responsible for the following:
Key Responsibilities Include:
Primary Duties (Include)
This is a community economic development position with considerable upside possibilities to build experience, expertise, a network, and a rewarding career in the dynamic field of economic development. Under the direction and guidance of Urban Systems Ltd/Lochaven Management Consultants Ltd., the successful candidate will undertake a number of key duties, including but not limited to the following:
- Serve as liaison with BREOC staff and elected officials;
- Direct and coordinator the effective operation and use of the local transition centre;
- Provide advocacy and support to coal-impacted individuals and enterprises;
- Act as the Project liaison on economic transition and economic transition centres to public officials, the private sector, and the public at large;
- Maintain effective relations and communications and work with local and regional economic development officers and offices to ensure a cooperative and collaborative approach to the delivery of transition services;
- Maintains relations with existing businesses and industry while encouraging retention and expansion;
- A self-starter, with an interest in community economic development and the challenges inherent within single industry/transition communities;
- Knowledge and/or familiarity with program design, economic analyses, and proposal or grant writing;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the background and ability to provide empathetic and meaningful support;
- Comfortable with public speaking and engagement to represent the Transition Centre;
- Would be an asset to have experience in business planning, business coaching, employment coaching, and resume building;
- Willing to attend meetings outside of regular business hours.
- Some College or University training/degree in Economics, Commerce/Business or related field;
- Some working experience in the multiple aspects of Economic Development;
- Proficient in the use of current and trending information technologies;
- Some knowledge of the challenges and opportunities inherent with development within rural remote regions of Canada;
- Some knowledge of program design principles and practices;
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $55,000 to $65,000/per annum
Posted Date: Aug 14, 2018
Closing Date: Aug 31, 2018