Competition # 2022-04
We are looking for a dynamic, creative, and forward-thinking leader who wants to make an impact on our organization and
in our community as a Director of Public Works! This person will provide leadership to the department in the realization of
Municipal Strategic Plan, while promoting a positive culture based on accountability and customer-service excellence.
Now is your opportunity to join a community-focused team that thrives on doing things effectively and efficiently to better serve our residents! We believe in encouraging our employees to effect change and make a difference in our community.
To learn more about the position, please visit our website at www.birchhillscounty.com
If you wish to apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume complete with cover letter, quoting competition #2022-04. The competition closes October 31, 2022 or until a suitable candidate is selected.
Larry Davidson, CLGM email@example.com
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Recommends to the Chief Administrative Officer on goals, objectives, policies and programs in areas of public works and utility services. These services would include; roads maintenance, traffic signage, water treatment and supply, wastewater collection and treatment, solid waste management, recycling, parks maintenance, facility maintenance, mobile equipment repair and maintenance, and project management.
- Provides recommendations through the Chief Administrative Officer to Council. Provides support to the annual review of department programs by the Chief Administrative Officer on behalf of Council.
- Is accountable to the Chief Administrative Officer for the implementation and monitoring of the bylaws, policies and programs approved by Council affecting areas of service within the Public Works Department; evaluates and recommends changes to the Chief Administrative Officer as required. Reports on these issues at least quarterly, or as requested by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Coordinates all activities of divisions within the department; recommends to the Chief Administrative Officer any necessary changes in the duties or authority of divisions and the department. Ensures that regular department staff meetings occur.
- Supervise contracted services and ensure that services are provided in accordance with approved contracts and organization goals, objectives, policies, procedures and priorities, and that safe working practices are undertaken.
- Supports the development of budgets and establishment of financial controls by the Chief Administrative Officer. Works with the Director of Corporate Services in coordinating budget information. Ensures that revenues and expenditures are within the Board-approved budgets.
- Within established personnel policies and budget guidelines, and subject to the approval of the Chief Administrative Officer, hires, suspends or terminates staff within the department.
- Responsible for the preparation of agenda reports and submissions, including background documentation, to Council. Attends Council meetings, and coordinates and monitors resulting actions by the department.
- Performs other related duties as may be requested by Council or as delegated to its committees or by the Chief Administrative Officer.
Undergraduate degree in public administration or business administration and/or experience in areas if increasing complexity within the public works area of municipal government; 3-5 years of increasingly responsible public sector administration experience. Preference will be given to those individuals who also have certification as an Alberta Water and Wastewater Operator.
Extensive knowledge of practices in the maintenance and construction techniques in the area of road maintenance; 5-years’ experience within a municipal government and/or designation as a certified engineering technologist within a related discipline, plus successful experience in supervising staff and in responding to concerns of elected officials and the public.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Sept 16, 2022
Closing Date: Oct 31, 2022