The Director of Operations position oversees transportation and infrastructure operations of the County. The person we are looking for is required to be a proven leader with strong interpersonal skills and keen problem-solving abilities.
The Director of Operations is a senior management position that reports to the Chief Administrative Officer of the municipality. With up to 7 direct reports, the Director is responsible for the management of the County’s road and bridge network, water and wastewater services, maintenance shop, and vehicle and equipment fleets.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide guidance and leadership to the organization on matters pertaining to roads, bridges, water, wastewater, and other essential functions.
- Act as a key member of the senior leadership team and provide input on key decisions that will assist County administration in achieving its short and long-term goals.
- Oversees various construction projects for roads, bridges, water, and wastewater. Ensures associated costs are applied to respective projects to facilitate budgetary controls and applicable grant
- Ensures compliance with various government agencies with respect to operation of bridge construction, water systems, wastewater, transfer stations, reclamation sites and other projects required to meet specific government agency guidelines and reporting requirements.
- Oversees the preparation and maintenance of long and short-term capital plans for major road projects, equipment, and
- Manages annual bridge inspections and minor maintenance requirements and ensures bridge requests to Provincial Departments are submitted.
- Coordinates major projects including tendering, purchasing, record keeping, budgetary control and record keeping, and final grant reporting.
- Oversees operations within the County’s maintenance shop
As soon as possible. However, we realize that time and resources required to start a new position and potentially relocate are significant and the holiday season can add additional complexities. Therefore, for the right candidate, the County is willing to be flexible on the start date for this position.
Benefits and Remuneration:
- Hours of Work: 8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (1-hour unpaid lunch break).
- Salary Range: $110,000 – $130,000 (dependent upon qualifications and experience). Annually salary is inclusive of any necessary overtime
- Benefits: Full comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits are provided
- Pension: Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP)
- Vacation: 5 Weeks Annually
Required Traits and Proficiencies
Desired Education and Experience
- Ability to work collaboratively with all areas of the organization
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Fully experienced in the use of MS Office, with advanced computer skills
- Strong belief in a safe-work culture and processes
- Strategic, long-term thinking
- Organized and technologically proficient
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to mentor and develop up and coming leaders within the organization
- Ability to delegate and utilize team members to accomplish goals
- Post-secondary education in Engineering, Business or Public Administration or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 5-10 years of leadership experience at a management level
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in municipal infrastructure and operations
- Solid understanding of Alberta Environment regulations and procedures
- Experience in the preparation, management, and execution of operational and capital budgets
- Solid understanding and experience regarding rural roads and bridges
- Demonstrated decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people, including staff, senior management, elected officials, business and community leaders, and the public
- Strong cognitive ability to balance the big picture while focusing on the details of process and systems.
- Experience in managing and supervising simultaneous ongoing capital projects
If this opportunity is of interest to you, please submit your resume and cover letter via EMAIL ONLY
by November 12th, 2021 @ 4:00pm
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Oct 14, 2021
Closing Date: Nov 12, 2021