The Town of Bonnyville is seeking an individual to work within a team-oriented organization to undertake the role of Director of Finance. The Director of Finance position reports directly to the General Manager of Corporate Services as delegated by the Chief Administrative Officer. The Director of Finance is responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of finance, human resources, insurance and risk management as well as associated functions and activities of related undertakings in accordance with the Municipal Government Act, Council approved Bylaws, Policies and Strategic Plan.
The Director of Finance directs, controls, supports and coordinates the activities of critical corporate support functions including: financial planning, accounting, banking and investments, assessment and taxation, customer service, utility customer transactions, human resource policies and activities, insurance, corporate legal and liability.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Supervise and lead the Finance and Administration department staff. Provide financial leadership and ensures that all financial activities and services are performed in a timely and efficient manner and that such services are customer oriented (internal and external).
- Aid in the preparation of Finance and Administration department long range and annual plans and budgets.
- Financial planning for revenue, expenditures and balance sheet matters, including advising management, executive committees, and General Managers on these matters.
- Develop, compile and communicate overall fiscal directions, policies and budgets internally and externally.
- Ensure customer oriented financial services are provided and follow-up on concerns.
- Aid in financial system oversight, including ensuring accountable financial controls operate at all times, developing and supporting continuous improvements and addressing any audit concerns.
- Integrate the financial systems with Town services/ program delivery and project objectives using performance measures and other accountability tools.
- Aid in financial statement and statistical report preparation.
- General Revenue management, including property tax and assessment matters.
- Oversee payroll and benefits, routine financial accounting, develop policies and procedures, lead internal auditing/control and undertake financial issue analysis.
- Manage, in compliance with all policies and regulations, all Town financial assets and liabilities including cash, receivables and collections, investments and borrowings and the partnerships/relationships with service providers related to these functions.
- Manage Municipal budget process (reporting, tax calculations, performance management, requisitions, etc.).
- Ensures fixed asset ledger is up to date and operated according to Tangible Capital Assets (TCA) requirements.
- Ongoing reporting and advising on financial matters to General Managers as required.
- Coordinate and process all grant applications and related accounting, reports and summaries.
- Accurately saves and scans “records” into the document management system, the Financial Accounting system and archives department paper files as per the retention schedule.
- Promote transparency and accountability by participating in major tendering and purchasing processes and decisions.
- Support the Chief Administration Officer, Managers, and Directors in a variety of areas including best practices for long range modelling, capital analysis, policy development, etc.
- May be assigned a role within the Emergency Operations Group for disaster services.
- Complete any other assigned duties as required by the Chief Administration Officer or General Manager of Corporate Services.
- Completion of Post-Secondary Accounting Program CA, CMA, CGA or equivalent is desirable.
- 3-5 years accounting experience in Municipal Government Environment
- High degree of competency in using computers for Financial Reporting and Analysis.
- Use of Excel and knowledge of Vadim software is an asset.
- Solid Planning and Organizing skills.
- Familiarity with the Municipal Government Act, Other Provincial statutes, GST, GAAP.
- Must be Bondable.
- Able to think conceptually while managing details.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Effective Management, Team Building, Leadership and Supervisory Skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills, including problem solving, decision making, customer service and facilitation.
The Town of Bonnyville offers a comprehensive salary and benefit package.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jan 07, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 22, 2021
Job ID: Qualified Applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and current resume via e-mail. Please reference Director of Finance in the cover letter.