Competition number: 385-2022-EXT-FCS
Closing date: 08/21/2022
Job type: Permanent Full-time Hybrid
Department: Family and Community Services
Pay range: $82.36 to $102.94 per hour ($149,895.20 to $187,350.80 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Family and Community Services provides support for individuals, families, and the community with a variety of programs and services. As the social needs of the community are ever evolving, new initiatives and community partnerships are created to respond to resident needs.
As Director, you will have responsibility for leading, managing and directing the Family and Community Services department providing municipal social services and programs to support Strathcona County's Strategic Plan and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will assist Executive Team (ET) in establishing, promoting, and implementing the strategic direction of the county by providing expertise, guidance, and recommendations in all aspects of community social needs and priorities, social planning, and preventive social service programming ensuring that our programs are closely linked with Strathcona County's strategic direction, needs of residents, corporate business plans and County values and beliefs.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Skills and Abilities
- Provide senior leadership of the Family and Community Services Department in the provision of effective and efficient municipal social services which meet the needs of our residents in alignment with the corporate Strategic Plan
- Ensure the department effectively supports emergency social services planning and response activities of the County and alignment of department programs and services with the needs of our residents through ongoing consultation
- Promote the development of integrated social services in the community to maximize seamless services and referral mechanisms, minimize duplication and improve community capacity
- Lead development and implementation of the Department's business plan, budget, and human resource planning
- Work to build a strong department team having a clear vision and goals, understanding of the relationship to the corporate strategic plan, building a culture of collaboration, respect, and service to the client
- Build strong relationships with Council, Executive Team, our clients, the general public, community and service provider partners, stakeholders, provincial departments and other County departments. Lead department communications with Council and Executive Team
- Ensure effective and efficient approaches to resource management throughout the department to provide cost-effective service delivery, customer satisfaction and risk management
- Demonstrate strong fiscal management including guiding the development of budgets, monitoring and managing financial resources, and reviewing and reporting departmental performance measures
- Ensure the provision of effective and efficient client services within the mandate of FCS for delivery of programs including counselling, community and social development, family resources support, groups, home support and social planning services
- Lead and guide departmental staff in ensuring compliance with all relevant legislative, policy, and bylaw requirements, including safety and privacy legislation and policy
- Ensure all records and files comply with corporate and legislative policies regarding privacy, confidentiality, and corporate records management requirements
- Negotiate contracts, agreements, partnerships, and other undertakings with outside organizations, ensuring the parameters of County policies and by-laws are met
- Ability to communicate effectively, tactfully, and diplomatically and with clarity both orally and written
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment
- Demonstrated ability to execute strategy, utilize theory and experience to develop and implement new programs, services and policies that address emerging needs and operational priorities
- Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen with the ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills including strong management skills to provide direction, training, and coaching
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; a visionary leader with the ability to present and address Council, Boards and Committees
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously and meet tight timelines
- Ability to diplomatically and effectively liaise, consult and engage with internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively identify the need and opportunities for change and build support for major changes to direction of services
- Ability and skills to develop partnerships and work on teams with other community not-for-profit, volunteer, and mandated agencies to deliver programs that that cross-agency boundaries in order to meet the needs of clients
Conditions of Employment
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or a related field. Master’s degree in a related field is considered an asset
- Senior level management experience with ten or more years experience in the social service field, particularly preventive social services with extensive experience in a community environment
- Extensive current knowledge of social trends, municipal, provincial, and federal roles, responsibilities, and relationships in the delivery of social service programs
- Understanding of leadership and management fundamentals with proven teambuilding abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the theories, principles, and administration of policies for municipal government administration and policies. Knowledge of the applicable legislation including the Municipal Government Act, the FCSS Act, FOIP, Child, Youth & Family Enhancement Act, the County's by-laws, and other job specific legislation
- Demonstrated experience interpreting current social, political, economic, and technological trends to effectively manage portfolio of expertise
- Extensive knowledge in the field of social services, social service practice, systems, and program development
- Strong political and organizational understanding
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #385-2022-EXT-FCS closes August 21, 2022
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
- Submission of a Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Submission of a Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Intervention Record Check
Please apply on our website: Career: Director of Family and Community Services | Strathcona County
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jul 22, 2022
Closing Date: Aug 21, 2022