Located approximately an hour NW of Edmonton, at the crossroads of Highway 18 and Highway 44, the Town of Westlock is a community experiencing steady growth, with a population of over 5,100 residents. We are an agricultural community with a strong commercial base and a variety of amenities. Aside from being the agricultural hub, the local economy has a variety of business services, retail, government administration and manufacturing. Our friendly business and family-oriented community offers plenty of services and activities for individuals and families of all ages. With top-notch healthcare, education, and recreational facilities, Westlock is a place to call home.
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Development Services oversees four direct reports (Development Officer, Peace Officer, Economic Development Officer, and a GIS Asset Management Coordinator) and is responsible for all aspects of urban and development planning operations, economic development, land administration, as well as ensuring that the Town’s Land Use Bylaw is enforced.
The Director will possess a Land Use Planning Certificate and/or a diploma or degree from a post-secondary institution. Along with proven senior leadership experience in a municipal setting, the Director will have knowledge of the MGA, Provincial regulations, and municipal bylaws and policies as they relate to planning and development.
A competitive annual compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. This includes an attractive base salary, a comprehensive benefits package, participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP), a Health Spending Account and a Town discounted rate on a facility pass.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. The Town of Westlock thanks all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Development Services is responsible for all aspects of urban and development planning, economic development, land administration and to ensure the Town of Westlock’s Land Use and planning documents are adhered to. The position is responsible to oversee all aspects of the planning operations of the Town. The Employee may be required on an ongoing basis to attend applicable training, workshops, seminars and courses at the discretion of the Employer in order to facilitate job knowledge and performance.
- Administer Town of Westlock Land Use Bylaw:
- Oversee the processing of applications for discretionary use development permits and subdivisions pursuant to current bylaw, ensuring compliance with the Land Use Bylaw and associated development regulations;
- Prepare reports, advise and attend meetings of the Municipal Planning Commission;
- Check zoning and ownership of land to be developed;
- Assist applicants with completing required applications, including preparation of all required information as required;
- Prepare and submit applications and decisions for publication for objections;
- Resolve all issues where land use bylaw has not been adhered to in accordance to such bylaw and provincial regulations;
- Prepare technical reports pertaining to rezoning, development permits, subdivision proposals and related planning matters, taking into account Town policy as expressed in the Town’s Municipal Development Plan, other agencies/departmental concerns, impact of the community and municipal and provincial regulations;
- Attend Subdivision Development Appeal Board meetings as required, and make submissions to the Board;
- Negotiate Development Agreements where required;
- Issue stop work orders pursuant to the Land Use Bylaw;
- Supervise, direct and train the Development Staff;
- Maintain, monitor and control applicable budget funds.
- Administer Town’s Quality Management Plan and the Safety Codes Act.
- Assist applicants with completing required applications including preparation of required information as required;
- Monitor Accredited agencies contracted by the Town;
- Monitor and inspect developments at various stages to ensure adherence to current bylaws and regulations;
- Work with the Director of Operations in overseeing all Town initiated construction projects and building contracts related to such projects.
- Administer all lands within the municipality boundaries:
- Maintain appropriate, up to date drawings for all areas, blocks and lots under jurisdiction of the municipality;
- Maintain a data base on all property within the municipality indicating information as required by the Chief Administrative Officer;
- Assist the Chief Administrative Officer with the negotiations of the sale, acquisition and/or lease of Town, crown and/or private lands when applicable.
- Administer the Town’s GIS and Asset Management Program:
- Supervise and provide direction to the GIS/Asset Management Coordinator.
- Ensure the ongoing development and maintenance of the asset management program.
- Ensure maintenance of the Town of Westlock G.I.S. system
- Participate and take lead roles in any economic development initiatives of the Town.
- Supervise and provide direction to the Economic Development Officer.
- Conduct special planning studies, research projects and investigations as requested.
- Supervise and provide direction to the Community Peace Officer.
- Represent the Town of Westlock on all day to day activities relating to community development and planning matters, liaise and correspond with agencies, governments, developers and other interested parties;
- Attend meetings and participate on relevant committees on behalf of the Town;
- Represent the Town at seminars, conferences or meetings.
- Keep the Chief Administrative Officer informed of all matters;
- Verbally advise on a day to day basis;
- Prepare a written report on a monthly basis, or as required by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Provide technical research to the Chief Administrative Officer on matters relating to community development and planning;
- Attend meetings of Council as required.
- Develop strategy for capital planning and participate in the implementation of capital projects.
- Prepare municipal development plan and land use bylaw amendments and update comprehensive land use bylaw.
- Carry out administrative duties, including:
- Maintaining a library of reference materials such as reports, studies, economic development plans and engineering reports on infrastructure requirements, etc.;
- Maintain accurate files on each issue relating to community development and/or planning;
- Assist with the preparation of related funding applications from various bodies on a variety of subjects;
- Prepare, for Chief Administrative Officer approval, briefing notes for submission to the Town Council.
- Advise and/or assist other Town employees when required.
- Work with all Town personnel in all matters pertinent to community development and planning.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Chief Administrative Officer from time to time.
- The minimum level of education required to perform these duties are;
- Completion of Grade 12 Diploma; and
- Diploma from a technical college in engineering, construction, architecture technology urban planning, or accepted equivalencies.
- The minimum experience required to perform these duties are;
- Two (2) years of applicable experience in a municipal environment;
- Knowledge of Provincial regulations, municipal bylaws and policies to planning and development activity;
- Ability to interpret architectural drawings;
- Knowledge of Alberta Building Code;
- Knowledge of Municipal Government Act as it relates to Development and Planning;
- Experience and/or certification in AutoCAD
- Experience and/or certification in G.I.S. systems
- Effective written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to deal with developers, governments and the public in matters of some sensitivity in a courteous, diplomatic and tactful manner;
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Sept 03, 2020
Closing Date: Sept 30, 2020