The Director of Corporate Services is a vital member of the Senior Management team who directs, controls, supports and co-ordinates the following functions: financial planning, accounting, banking and investments, assessment and taxation, customer service, utility customer transactions, insurance, risk management, and corporate legal liability.
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
Receptionists, Accounts Payable Clerk, IT Administrator, Grants Officer, Taxation Clerk, Finance Controller, and Project Costing Clerk.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Monitor the operation of the Department, along with the performance, development of its staff, to ensure consistency with County policy and statutory requirements.
- Carry out the duties of Director of Corporate Services by managing County revenues and reserve funds through provision of banking, investment, and cash flow projection services.
- Responsible for leading the customer service receptionists and the interac payment processing systems.
- Plan and oversee the County’s overall financial management activities including budgeting, inventory control and reporting, accounting, insurance, and treasury support.
- Monitor and recommend appropriate financial control processes and policies.
- Leads the grant application and reporting duties for provincial and federal grants.
- Compiles prepare (in discussion with the management team) and recommend the overall County operating and capital budgets and associated tax rates and present this material to the Chief Administrative Officer for final presentation to Council.
- Ensure that financial management and reporting is carried out in a timely and effective manner.
- In conjunction with Auditors and staff, prepare the necessary year-end working papers and applicable audited financial statements pursuant to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and practices.
- Responsible for the municipal taxation process and property assessment. This includes ensuring that mill rates are set to ensure the County receives the tax funding it requires.
- Responsible to prepare and present the monthly financial report, for both operating and capital accounts showing the County’s financial position against the approved budget.
- Attend all meetings designated by the CAO which may include Council, Regional Landfill, Committees and Boards, appointed by Council, and assist in the decision-making process by providing advice, guidance and consultation as required.
- When the CAO is absent, the Director of Corporate Services may perform Acting CAO duties.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the CAO.
Education & Experience:
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- CGA, CMA or CPA/CA designation is desirable, a combination of other relevant education and experience may be considered.
- A minimum of 5-years’ experience at a senior level in the financial accounting and reporting field of a Municipality or Government organization; 5-years auditing experience of Municipal Government may also be considered. (Experience in non-municipal government area may also be considered).
- Experience and knowledge using Municipal Affairs MAConnect grant portal.
- Experience with computerized financial systems. Familiarity with Great Plains and Diamond Municipal Solutions, and City Wide would be an asset.
- Experience in liaison with Public Works staff in capital works and infrastructure improvement programs would be an asset.
- Must be bondable.
- Criminal Records Check.
- Provide current 5-year drivers abstract.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License.
- Able to use Teams or Zoom to manage virtual meetings or work from home employees.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- A strong team player that can work collaboratively with senior management, elected officials, volunteer boards, committees, and employees.
- An understanding of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) would be of benefit.
- Ability to apply computer tools to work projects, examples would be Excel/Word/ Access/FRX/F9 etc.
Big Lakes County offers an excellent benefits package as well we participate in the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP).
Submit cover letter and resume, including references to:
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidate is found.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $146,074 - $172,159
Posted Date: Feb 04, 2022
Closing Date: May 14, 2022