Located at the heart of Alberta, the Athabasca Region is the perfect destination to experience adventure, culture, history and relaxation. Amid lush boreal forests, the Athabasca Region features picturesque lakes, dynamic communities, scenic natural vistas and unique recreation opportunities – all less than 90 minutes’ drive north of Edmonton. Explore www.visitathabasca.ca for a more in depth look at what the Athabasca Region has to offer.
Athabasca County is currently accepting applications for a full time, permanent Director of Corporate Services. Reporting to the County Manager, the Director is accountable for the overall management and direction of the financial affairs for Athabasca County. This includes the supervision of finance, human resources, FCSS, and information technology staff, coordinating the preparation of the budget, developing appropriate financial and audit controls, budget forecasting, and preparing financial statements.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• As Comptroller for the County, the Director of Corporate Services is responsible and accountable for the receipt of all revenue, the authorization of all expenditures within the policies of the County Council and the requirements of current legislation or as directed by the County Manager.
• Maintain an accounting system that meets the requirements of legislation, County Council policies, the County’s auditor and inform the County Council of the County Council’s financial position through the presentation of analyzed monthly financial reports.
• Maintain a purchasing system that ensures the effective delivery of goods and services and the efficient use of public funds.
• Ensure that all possible sources of revenue such as grants, taxes, fees for services, rental charges, sale of goods and other levies accrue to the County Council for use in the delivery of appropriate services by the County Council.
• Maintain adequate insurance coverage on all insurable assets, arrange for the bonding of employees holding positions of trust and place adequate liability insurance to safeguard the County Council.
• In the case of Director of Corporate Services absence, the County Manager shall be responsible for all of duties and responsibilities of the Director of Corporate Services.
• Assist the County Manager as required in areas of short and long range planning as it pertains to facilities, equipment, property and financial resources.
• Analysis and preparation of annual budgets in consultation with the County Manager, within County Council guidelines.
• Review and approve all grant applications and claims to ensure that all costs are considered and recovered.
• Review and supervise accounting, personnel, procedures and policies to ensure accuracy, completeness and timelines of financial management.
• Review and supervise other Central Office personnel not assigned to another manager.
• Plan and reviewing of the development and implementation of computerized accounting systems and programs.
• Administration of legislative requirements for short-term debenture borrowing and Local Authorities Board related duties.
• Administration of all benefits programs and personnel policies.
• Fulfill the duties of the Secretary to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and shall assist the County Library Board in its operations and finances.
• Responsible for other duties assigned from time to time by the County Manager.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of managerial / supervisory experience as well as a recognized professional accounting designation. Related education and experience will be considered. Experience with the budgeting process and familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics (GP) would be an asset.
You will find a detailed job description on the Athabasca County website under Career Opportunities at www.athabascacounty.com or please contact Kelli Chamberlain (780) 675-2273 at the County Administration Office for further information.
The current salary range for this position is $110,956 - $134,995. Athabasca County offers an attractive benefit package and contributes to the Local Authorities Pension Plan.
The deadline to apply for this position is Friday, December 13th, 2019.