Director of Community Services
Due to a retirement, we are looking for our next great Director of Community Services. This is a full-time permanent position within our team here at Kneehill County. We are a talented, intelligent, fun, and energetic team looking for a leader who will encourage, support, and continue to build our team further. We are hoping to find a candidate who will match our enthusiasm and desire for a collaborative, effective, creative, and fun work environment! Do you have what it takes to work with us? Are you a positive person, that engages with people naturally? Do you have the ability for long term planning, and strategic development?
We are located in the heart of central Alberta, approximately 1-hour southeast of Red Deer and 1 hour and 20 minutes northeast of Calgary. Kneehill County is a progressive rural municipality comprised of 814,653 acres of land and a population of approximately 5,000. Within our County boundaries, are the Towns of Three Hills and Trochu, Villages of Acme, Carbon and Linden, and 4 Hamlets (Torrington, Huxley, Swalwell, Wimborne) and other neighborhoods (Hesketh, Sunnyslope) with a total combined population of 11,193. Agriculture is the backbone of the local economy, complemented by oil and gas, alternative energy such as wind power, as well as tourism and outdoor attractions including Horseshoe Canyon. There are many other attractions which draw people and business to our friendly area!
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, this Director position is responsible for developing, planning, organizing, leading, and managing the strong group of staff that make up the County’s Community Services Department. This portfolio includes the Protective Services, Planning and Development, Agricultural Services and Parks. Facilities Maintenance, Economic Development, and a Community Services Assistant. There are 6 direct reports and a total of 16 permanent staff. There may be up to 20 seasonal staff within the Agricultural and Parks department, during the months between May and August.
Key Responsibilities Include:
The key responsibilities are:
- Provide advice, guidance and leadership to the CAO, Council and Council Committees with respect to department responsibilities within Community Services through reports, research, and administrative recommendations.
- Provides guidance and direction to Department Managers in the preparation and implementation of short and long-term goals and objectives to ensure Department policies and practices are consistent with the overall Strategic Plan.
- Oversees the various operating and capital projects associated with Community Services Departments including tendering and monitoring of expenditures.
- Oversees the planning and maintenance of long-term capital plans with respect to equipment related to Community Services Departments and all building and facility structures under Kneehill County ownership.
- Makes recommendations for the development of long-term master plans or studies and oversees the implementation of such according to Council’s direction.
- Ensures compliance with various government agencies and stakeholders including those of our municipal partners with respect to legislation or intermunicipal agreements in place. Ensures all required reporting requirements are met.
- Oversees policy and bylaw development recommendations to Council as they relate to Community Services department responsibilities.
- Provide support to the CAO in the development, implementation and evaluation of leading practices, benchmarks, and performance measurements for the organization.
Areas that can add to our team:
Skills and Qualifications needed for the position
- Ability to work collaboratively with all areas of the organization.
- Leadership and growth within our teams and oneself.
- Strategic, long-term thinker.
- Organized in thought and process.
- Ability to have fun and get serious work done.
- Proven consistency and strong team support.
What do we offer?
- A degree in a related field, with at least 10 years of progressively responsible management experience.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in a municipal setting in a manager or leadership role.
- NACLAA certification or CLGM designation would be considered an asset.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of Municipal Government Act, municipal policies, and leading practices.
- Working knowledge of the rural environment as well as urban municipal interface
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Strong commitment to public and community service
- Strong cognitive ability to balance the big picture while focusing on the details of process and systems.
- Communication-verbal and written
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Organizational Skills
- Computer Knowledge
- Multi-tasking ability
- Teamwork and participation in events, training, meetings etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement
- Competitive pay
- Group Health Benefits
- Local Authority Pension Plan
- Engaging and empowering work environment
- Strong policies and supportive atmosphere
- Fun and friendly co-workers
- Training Opportunities
We offer a competitive salary along with a 100% employer paid benefits program. Visit our website for further details: www.kneehillcounty.com
If this opportunity is of interest to you, respond by November 30, 2021, with your resume and a cover letter providing details as how to you match our criteria. We encourage you to be creative and show us your fun side.
All applicants will receive an information package including remuneration details upon receipt of your resume and cover letter. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted, we appreciate your interest.
Three Hills, AB T0M 2A0
Attention: Jessie Kasha
Human Resources Coordinator
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Nov 05, 2021
Closing Date: Nov 30, 2021