If you enjoy a rural lifestyle and would like to work for a highly professional and progressive organization with a great team environment, then this may be the position for you.
We are a welcoming and thriving community. Situated just a few hours north of Alberta’s major cities, our residents enjoy the freedom of the great outdoors. With a service area population of 17,440, Big Lakes County expands over 13,942 square kilometers.
We are proud to be home to the largest accessible lake in Alberta, rugged forests, and rolling countryside. We are equally proud of our diverse and talented workforce who have helped to expand opportunities in Big Lakes County. We have an abundance of natural resources – agriculture, forestry, oil and gas that continues to expand and strengthen our economy. We’ve also just scratched the surface in exploring opportunities in transportation and logistics, tourism, education, construction, health, retail, and information and communications technology (ICT). Possibilities are endless in Big Lakes County for those with the vision to help see them grow.
Key Responsibilities Include:
As a member of the County’s senior management team the Director of Community & Protective Services provides departmental supervision, guidance, and leadership for a diverse portfolio.
Supervise the following departments:
- Animal Care & Control Officer/Safety
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Peace Officers (2 contract positions)
- Emergency Management
- Economic Development
Director of Emergency Management (DEM)
- Responsible to prepare recommendations for long and short term strategic direction.
- Responsible for the annual review/amendment of the Municipal Emergency Plan.
- Responsible to work with municipal, government agency, and industry partners to develop and maintain emergency service and mutual aid agreements and best practices.
- Appointed as the Director of Emergency Management.
- Responsible for the set up and maintenance of the Emergency Operations Center when required.
Additional related duties of the Director of Community & Protective Services position include, but are not limited to:
- Administer Community & Protective Services in conformity with the strategic direction, corporate policy and all relevant statutes, bylaws and resolutions.
- Provide direction and control related to the preparation of the interim and annual budgets.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of long-range operational and capital plans.
- Attend all Council meetings and attend meetings of Committees, Boards and Advisory Bodies as necessary; during meetings, make observations, suggestions and recommendations as appropriate.
- Prepare reports and requests for decisions on key matters.
- Maintain a high level of day-to-day contact with the Chief Administrative Officer with regards to operational matters and budget accountability.
- Provide information to Council, staff, and the general public concerning existing and proposed policies, practices and programs of the County.
- Ensure that employees of Community & Protective Services are provided with a safe and healthy workplace consistent with organizational standards and the healthy workplace initiatives.
- Participates in the formation and/or operation of various external municipal committees as they relate to departmental functions and issues.
- Enhance community relations and promote County programs and initiatives; build local/regional partnerships.
- Develops and implements appropriate safety and risk management procedures within the departments.
- Supervise and liaise with various consulting agencies working under contract for the County.
- Directs and conducts research relative to bylaws, policies, management reports, etc., and ensure that relative departmental bylaws are up to date.
- Undertakes other tasks, projects, and responsibilities as required, within the scope of the position or as assigned
Education & Experience
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Post-secondary education in Business, Public Administration, Political Science or other related discipline or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum 5 years’ experience in Municipal or Senior Management Operations with supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and Provincial Statues.
- Basic accounting skills and familiarity with finances and budgets.
- NACLAA Certificate would be an asset.
- Criminal Records Check
- Provide a 5-year drivers abstract
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
Submit cover letter and resume, including references to:
- Exceptional research, writing and conceptual skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Computer literacy including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from employees, Council and Ratepayers.
- Familiarity and understanding of relevant provincial legislation, bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal operations and sufficient knowledge of the functions of Agricultural Services, Pest & Animal Control, OH&S, Fire & Emergency Services and Bylaw Enforcement. To provide effective overall leadership for these functions and to represent service needs to the Senior Leadership Team, Council and the Community.
- Good knowledge of project management practices and principles.
- Ability to work collaboratively, ensuring interpersonal skills contribute to effective team functioning and performance.
- Attributes of the incumbent will include exceptional conflict management, negotiation, decision making, leadership, analytical, planning, organizational and coaching skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills.
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidate is found.
- Eunice McCauley
- Human Resources Manager
- Big Lakes County
- Box 239, High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
- Ph: 780-523-5955 Fx: 780-523-4227
Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Aug 29, 2019
Closing Date: Sept 28, 2019