Due to an upcoming retirement, Athabasca County is currently accepting applications for a Director of Agriculture & Community Services.
Reporting to the County Manager, the Director will be responsible for the overall management and administration of Athabasca County’s agriculture services, bylaw enforcement, emergency management, fire departments, and family and community support services.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- To act in an advisory capacity to the Agricultural Service Board regarding all programs and activities considered by the Board.
- Direct supervision of the Agriculture Services Department, Assistant Agriculture Fieldman, Problem Wildlife Officers, and all other staff which may be employed to carry on the Board’s programs.
- Furthermore, supervise two Administrative Assistants, Regional Fire Chief, and Community Peace Officer.
- Formulate policies and make recommendations with respect to administration of the Agriculture, Emergency Services and Enforcement Services functions in
consultation with the County Manager.
- Responsible for the duties of the Municipal Inspector under the Weed Control Act, the Officer of the Municipality under the Agricultural Pests Act, and the Soil Conservation officer under the Soil Conservation Act.
- Ensure agendas, minutes, and all correspondence related to Agricultural Service Board meetings are prepared and distributed as required.
- Oversee and coordinate all programs of the Agricultural Service Board and to act as a liaison with other agencies such as Alberta Agriculture, and Alberta Environment.
- Oversee all administrative duties related to Athabasca County Volunteer Fire Departments.
- Liaise with the Town of Athabasca and the Village of Boyle with respect to the Fire Services agreements.
- Liaise with neighboring jurisdictions with respect to the Mutual Aid Agreement for the provision of Emergency Services.
- Supervise and provide direction to Family & Community Support Services (FCSS) through the FCSS Manager.
- To act as the County’s Chief Wildfire Control Officer and liaise with the Alberta Government department responsible for Wildfire control and suppression.
- To act as Director of Emergency Management including updating of the Regional Emergency Response Plan.
- To liaise with the Provincial Solicitor General’s Office in matters pertaining to the Community Peace Officer.
- Review all enforcement reports.
- Oversee the operation of the Community Transportation Program.
- Prepare and monitor the budget for the Agriculture & Community Services department.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of managerial/supervisory experience as well as familiarity and understanding of the Municipal Government Act, bylaws, policies and procedures, ideally in a rural municipality. Post-secondary education related to any of the relevant functions is an asset.
The current salary range for this position is $109,480 - $133,199. Athabasca County offers an attractive benefit package and contributes to the Local Authorities Pension Plan.
You will find a detailed job description on the Athabasca County website under Career Opportunities at www.athabascacounty.com or please contact Kelli Chamberlain (780) 675-2273 at the County Administration Office for further information.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Nov 02, 2020
Closing Date: Jan 07, 2021