The Government of Alberta, Special Areas Board is currently looking for a Director, Municipal Services to join their busy and diverse team. If you are looking for a challenging yet exciting opportunity, look no further and apply now!
Reporting to the Chair of the Special Areas Board, the Director of Municipal Services is responsible for the overall administration and management of infrastructure, service provision, and policy development related to rural municipal services. The diverse and broad scope of this position includes infrastructure, services, and policy related to 8 key areas: transportation, emergency & protective services, water/wastewater, waste management, hamlets, municipal parks, legal survey and dam safety. Significant in-depth knowledge of each operational area is required.
The incumbent will manage the provision of all transportation infrastructures, including the construction and maintenance of 6380 km of local roads. They will be responsible for the supervision of 177 permanent and seasonal employees at the Youngstown Service Center, which interfaces with the public and delivers services for the Special Areas relating to transportation and infrastructure. Management of $225 million dollars of capital assets and $5 million of inventory assets are managed through an array of reporting programs and require technical expertise and an in-depth understanding of organizational goals. Effective coordination with external partners is key for successful service delivery.
The Director, Municipal Services will oversee a team of professional and technical staff for the delivery of urban municipal services to 17 Hamlets including: legal surveys, water/wastewater treatment. The incumbent will also manage the provision of emergency & protective services for the Special Areas, including: Fire, Community Peace Officers, and Disaster Services, as well as coordination with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities Include:
The main responsibilities of the Director, Municipal Services are:
- Direct the preparation of an annual budget and perform Expenditure Office responsibilities
- Ensure the cost-effective provision of a road network that meets the needs of the Special Areas related to commercial and commuter traffic
- Ensure the delivery of effectual emergency and protective services for the Special Areas including fire and emergency response, disaster services and enforcement
- Develops policy recommendations, advice and reporting to the Special Areas Board
- Enhance the quality of life for all stakeholders through effective management of Municipal Parks services and assets
- Provide leadership and sound environmental management relating to the collection and disposal of regional municipal waste
- Ensure the efficient delivery of municipal potable water and wastewater collection services
- Ensure achievement of maximum cost benefit for Special Areas equipment repair and fleet management
- Ensure delivery of legal survey requirements for Special Areas
- Post-secondary graduation in the following (but not limited to) areas: equipment management, engineering and design or equivalent supplemented with a minimum of 6 years of experience related to infrastructure management or municipal asset management
- Professional Designation with Geographical Information Systems (GIS) or equivalent
- Wide-ranging knowledge of the relevant legislation and related regulations and how these acts direct the activities of the Special Areas Board is required (Special Areas Act, Alberta
- Municipal Government Act, Emergency Management Act, Public Lands Act) is required.
- An understanding of the Special Areas Board Policies and Procedures and their application to the business of the Special Areas Board
- Experience with municipal government functions (i.e.: land use planning and development, infrastructure planning and development, survey and mapping)
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jul 19, 2022
Closing Date: Aug 03, 2022