City of Beaumont
Director, Economic Development
Come work with us! The City of Beaumont has an opportunity for a strong leader with a keen mind for strategy to support and shape the economic and business growth of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region’s fastest growing community. We’re looking for someone who can take big ideas and focus them into tangible goals to lead a team and collaborate with colleagues to bring bold vision into reality.
Beaumont is refining its plans to secure the city’s future as a viable, thriving, and sustainable community. To help make that happen, we’re rebuilding our Economic Development team and need the right person at the helm. The ideal candidate loves new challenges, is an exceptional people leader, can see opportunities and connections most people miss, and is a natural networker who can close a deal. You’re resourceful, not afraid of trying new ideas or taking calculated risks, and balance that with pragmatism and practicality. You can build a common understanding of a vision supported by data and analysis and get buy-in from elected officials, leaders, and colleagues across the organization, then work collaboratively with others to achieve results.
The Director of Economic Development will be responsible for leading the development and execution of strategies to attract investment and new revenue prospects for the City and support the retention and growth of local businesses. You’ll lead and mentor a team tasked with building productive relationships with industry, local businesses, government agencies, community organizations, and regional partners to advance economic development strategies that foster growth and the long-term sustainability of Beaumont.
The City of Beaumont has a positive, professional culture where we aim to do things differently than other municipalities while taking joy and demonstrating passion in our work. We are working towards change that benefits the community and strive to be nimble, adaptive, and innovative. The Director of Economic Development is part of the City’s senior leadership team and is a critical partner in building the community’s future and the organization’s culture.
Key Responsibilities Include:
What YOU’RE Responsible for:
- Develops organizational Economic Development strategies supported by information and analysis and establishes functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Oversees the annual Capital and Operational Budget of the department
- Leads the department’s annual operational plan and budget; and participates in the review and approval process of the budget with Council.
- Updates professional knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations, participates in educational opportunities, maintains current on professional publications, maintains personal networks, and participates in professional organizations.
- Leads change that maximizes desired results and outcomes within the department, organizationally, and in the industry.
- Invests time in managing, coaching, and developing people, individually and collectively.
- Creates an open, positive working environment to stimulate open discussion.
- Sets clear expectations, monitors, evaluates, rewards, and develops performance.
- Cultivates effective relationships and networks with other departments, residents, regional partners, contractors, agencies, and other levels of government.
- Demonstrates passionate personal commitment to quality leadership.
- Acts as a representative for the entire organization, not just the department.
- Develops a culture where people hold themselves personally accountable for results and leads by example.
- Ensures resources are directed to support the organization’s desired goals and culture.
- Along with the Senior Leadership Team, maintain overall control of and responsibility for the City’s Health and Safety program
- Ensure the City’s Health and Safety Program is implemented and complied with by Managers, Supervisors and workers.
What YOU Bring:
What WE love for YOU to have:
- University degree in the field of Commerce, Business Administration, Public Sector, Marketing or Entrepreneurship.
- 10+ years related experience with multiple years of senior leadership experience.
- Ec.D designation is an asset.
- Experience and/or training in municipal administration.
- Understanding of all aspects of business development from financing, land economics, marketing research, to real estate and building requirements.
What WE Offer:
- Ability to be a dynamic, engaged leader who is an expert communicator.
- Ability to think outside the box or propose new ideas or suggestions.
- Ability to be comfortable working in a context that interfaces politically
- Ability to demonstrate tact and discretion in handling matters that are confidential or politically sensitive in nature.
- Ability to be a multi-faceted, strategic, and operational leader
- Ability to absorb and digest a wide range of variables and perspectives and condense them down to develop an action-oriented plan that will lead to solutions guided by strategic goals.
- Ability to approach work with a foundational spirit of service and foster it at every level, both within the organization and with key stakeholders, levels of government, residents, and Council.
- Ability to be a pragmatic problem solver and decision-maker
This full-time, permanent position offers a salary range of $120,666 - $157,442 (salary is negotiable within this range based on suitable experience and qualifications), a competitive benefits package, and enrolment in LAPP. To apply, email your cover letter and resume, indicating the Job ID number 22-77
in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org
by August 04, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jul 22, 2022
Closing Date: Aug 04, 2022