The Town of Morinville is a growing community on the doorstep of Metro Edmonton. Developed on a foundation of rich heritage and culture spanning 100+ years, it offers an excellent quality of life with convenient access to all nearby big city amenities while retaining the characteristics of a vibrant and flourishing centre for the surrounding rural community.
The Town of Morinville is seeking a dynamic and experienced Development Officer to join the Planning & Economic team. The Development Officer informs residents, builders, developers, businesses and the general public on development matters, processes development permit applications, and enforces the Morinville Land Use Bylaw (LUB) for the Planning & Economic Development department. The position regulates and controls the use and development of land and buildings in the municipality as mandated by the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and the LUB.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Review and make decisions on development permit applications and review plans, technical studies, and reports for compliance with the regulations set out the Morinville Land Use Bylaw.
- Negotiate, prepare, and interpret development agreements associated with development permit applications.
- Works closely with contracted building inspectors on matters pertaining to the Alberta Building Code.
- Actively monitor and respond to complaints arising from contraventions with the land use bylaw
- Issue and track development enforcement and achieving compliance liaise with Enforcement Services.
- Monitor the land use bylaw for new efficiencies and improvements.
- Development of reports, analytics, and identification of trends.
- Generate infrastructure inspections prior to and after building construction.
- Development Infrastructure awareness and liaise with other departments, agencies, and clients.
- Notifications related to development to residents, agencies, and clients.
- Development facilitation and recommending solutions to clients.
- Other duties as required.
- Post-secondary Degree in a related field is preferred. Equivalencies in education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a related role, preferably within the development industry.
- Certification/training related to the fields of Development/Land Use Planning considered an asset.
- Experience working in a municipal government environment considered an asset.
- Proficient with MS Office 365 Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook, etc.).
- Experience with finance software – ie MS Dynamics Great Plains (Diamond) software considered an asset.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) considered an asset.
- Strong communication, problem solving, interpersonal, facilitation, conflict resolution and management skills.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check prior to commencement of employment.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Annual salary range of $70,255 to $83,888 (7 Step Grid), based on a 35 hour work week.
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Posted Date: May 12, 2022
Closing Date: June 01, 2022
Job ID: 202226-DO