This position would liaise with the Senior Development Engineering Officer to provide support to Infrastructure planning, and the land development program ensuring compliance of the General Municipal Servicing Standards (GMSS) on a wide range of land development projects. The position is also responsible for attending all regional planning functions, which entails representing Sturgeon County.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Municipal and Infrastructure Planning:
- Ensure that Sturgeon County’s infrastructure planning are captured in any regional/intermunicipal initiatives.
- Ensuring that all Municipal assets (transportation, stormwater, water, and wastewater) for new development are addressed throughout various planning initiatives including statutory and non-statutory plans.
- Effectively and regularly communicate with staff in Transportation and Engineering, Utility Services and Waste Management Services, Development Services, and other internal departments to ensure new development proposals are aligned with the County’s long-term strategic community building objectives.
Municipal and Infrastructure Planning: Project Management and Support:
- Assess infrastructure needs for development and contribute to the preparation of infrastructure planning documents.
- Undertake and/or coordinate research, environmental scanning, and analysis for infrastructure in support of various Transportation and Engineering priorities
- Provide departmental input to key projects that include off-site infrastructure improvements, levies, development agreements, and capital planning.
- Conduct technical analysis and examination of development proposals, in the context of the designs of municipal roads and servicing for subdivision. Ensures compliance with legislative requirements, municipal bylaws, County policies, and standard engineering practice.
- Ensure construction deficiencies are documented, and complete follow up inspections to ensure these deficiencies have been corrected prior to sign off the construction certificate and final acceptance certificates.
- Act as single point of contact for developers, their consultants and Sturgeon County’s consultants regarding the construction of new municipal infrastructure for multi-lot residential/commercial development.
- Ensure the County’s infrastructure meets the GMSS and resolve construction related while consulting with the Senior Development Engineering Officer and internal stakeholders.
- Supporting Development and Strategic Services with the examination of Lot Grading Certificates.
- Provide land development guidance, technical advice, and information to the general public as required. Examination of As-Built record drawing post construction ensuring compliance with the design drawings as accepted by the County.
- Develop project terms of reference, review proposals and manage consultant contracts/budgets as necessary to support the work of the Transportation and Engineering Services Division
- Represent Sturgeon County on technical working groups for various regional (Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board) and intermunicipal infrastructure planning initiatives to ensure the County’s interests are captured.
- Attend Municipal Planning commission, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board to support Development & Strategic services department on Engineering standards.
- Undertake various major and minor strategic infrastructure community needs analyses, including developing workplans, program development and scoping.
- Organize meeting logistics, establish agendas, and prepare records of discussion that highlight recommendations/action items to be followed up on key infrastructure projects and initiatives.
- Other related duties as required.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
- Civil Engineering Degree
- Public and/or private sector experience in Infrastructure planning, municipal engineering, project management and policy development/technical analysis.
- Strong technical abilities to complete technical design drawing reviews, advise, and direct land developers, and lead technical inspections.
- Strong time management skills and ability to respond to often heavy and shifting workload.
- Ability to think long term/strategically and understand basic operational matters as it pertains to Sturgeon infrastructure systems.
- Specialized knowledge and skills in the collection, analysis and interpretation of infrastructure, economic, physical, social, environmental, and other data
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills; ability to establish trust and credibility with colleagues and stakeholders and consultants.
- Advanced technical, writing and presentation skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, and to provide creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Strong research and analytical abilities including attention to detail.
- Ability to investigate and formulate an informed position on a range of proposed infrastructure initiatives, including undertaking risk/benefit analysis and conducting life-cycle assessments to ascertain project merit.
- Ability to entertain wide-range possibilities for various community planning matters and identify infrastructure needs for future development.
- Ability to think across a variety of disciplines and entertain wide ranging possibilities in assessing development opportunities for residential/commercial and non-residential/non-commercial growth.
Please submit your application by email quoting the competition number in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our ideal candidate would have experience working with a developer (industrial, residential, commercial) on several projects and must have interfaced with obtaining several development permits.
- Strong working knowledge of Civil Engineering design principles and practices associated with municipal infrastructure including construction methodology, procedures and materials associated with municipal infrastructure.
- The candidate would also have a strong interest in long range planning of infrastructure projects.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Currently Under Review
Position Type: Temporary- I year Contract
Posted Date: Jul 20, 2021
Closing Date: Jul 30, 2021
Job ID: 58-2021