This position oversees all rural extension activities and environmental programs within the Agriculture Services Department while providing agricultural expertise to other departments and supporting regional and municipal planning projects.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Ensure successful delivery and quality control of Rural Extension Programs and Environmental Conservation Programs in accordance with the department business plan, while striving for continuous improvement and enhanced efficiency.
• Supervise the establishment of local conservation programs including Alternative Land Use Services (ALUS) and other complementary municipal conservation programs.
• Support Sturgeon County’s Integrated Pest Management Programs by educating residents and stakeholders on integrated pest management strategies.
• Support Sturgeon County’s drainage program by overseeing pest and nuisance management contractors and ensure all associated regulatory requirements are met.
• Support the implementation of Sturgeon County’s Drainage Master Plan.
• Supervise administration of the Soil Conservation Act and Topsoil Removal Bylaw.
• Respond to public inquiries and complaints on environmental and agricultural matters.
• Support regional partnerships and conservation initiatives, which may include participation in technical working group to provide an agricultural perspective.
• Collaborate with other departments to elevate the profile of the agricultural sector in Sturgeon County.
• Provide advice and guidance to other departments on agricultural and environmental matters.
• Including land use planning and environmental resource conservation and management within an agricultural context.
• Accountable for the recruitment, performance management, training, and professional development of direct reports.
• Ensure that all legislative requirements are met under the Wildlife Act, the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, the Pest Control Products Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any other federal and provincial regulations.
• Effectively manage records, electronic documents and information according to the Sturgeon County Records and Information Management System.
• Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Supervisory and leadership skills including the ability to support the professional development of others through coaching and mentoring.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills to work effectively within restricted timelines and adapt to often changing priorities.
• A supportive team player with the ability to work independently and to self-manage responsibilities.
• Exceptional interpersonal and presentation skills to work with both internal and external stakeholders and working groups in a professional manner.
• Strong computer skills and advanced abilities in using Microsoft Office.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Rate of Pay: $92,272 - $121,422 per annum
Posted Date: Mar 24, 2020
Closing Date: Apr 03, 2020
Job ID: 37-2020