Agriculture & Environmental Coordinator
Lamont County is located less than 45 minutes east of Edmonton and is part of Alberta’s Industrial Heartland. With a population of approx. 4,000 and a service area of over 9,500 residents, we contribute to over 40 major industrial companies and investments of over $45B. The county is adjacent to Strathcona County and the City of Fort Saskatchewan, as well as many important municipalities in the region.
We are the Cradle of Ukrainian Settlement in Canada, including the honour of receiving the first Ukrainian settlers in Canada over 130 years ago, and home to over 40 historic churches—Lamont county is designated the Church Capital of North America.
We offer exciting and challenging job opportunities focused on delivering and supporting high-quality programs and services to our residents.
Lamont County is seeking an experienced Agriculture & Environmental Coordinator to join the Agricultural Services Department. Reporting to the Agricultural Fieldman, this position leads the coordination of all environmental programs as endorsed by the Agricultural Service Board and Council.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Oversees and manages the environmental programs pertaining to land, water, soil, and alternative energy sources.
- Works in partnership with the North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance, Vermillion River Watershed Alliance, Cows & Fish programs, and other environmental agencies.
- Prepares educational newsletters, promotions, and pamphlets to raise awareness on environmental programs.
- Helps educate the public on the legislation and responsibilities of the landowner.
- Researches environmental conservation practices and trends in the agricultural industry.
- Assists the Agricultural Fieldman in the recruitment and training of seasonal staff.
- Acts as an inspector under the Weed, Pest and Soil Conservation Acts, adhering to its legislation.
- Conducts, coordinates, and monitors the identification, reporting, control, and record keeping of weed programs.
- Develops and updates weed control procedures.
- Consults with landowners and makes recommendations regarding chemicals to control weeds.
- Issues enforcement notices to landowners.
- Assists the Agricultural Fieldman with grant applications and budget process.
- Overtime may be required during evenings and weekends.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- An agricultural or environmental education from a recognized post-secondary institution is considered an asset.
- Experience working in the agricultural/environmental field is required.
- Knowledge of Weed, Pest, and Soil Conservation Acts.
- Pesticide Applicators license, or willing to obtain.
- Experience with GPS and GIS is an asset.
- Excellent public relation skills, professional demeanour, and is an effective communicator.
- Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Office applications.
- Effective leadership and training skills.
- Able to work in a team efficiently, or independently.
- A satisfactory and valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s Abstract.
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
This position is based on a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Lamont County offers a competitive salary, excellent comprehensive benefit package, and participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan. This competition is open to internal and external candidates and will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
What we offer?
- We are a growing municipality that is focused on energy, agriculture, and tourism.
- Staff engagement and satisfaction are crucial to our success. Our leadership team values your voice and input and welcomes feedback.
- We support local charities and the Lamont County foodbank.
- We are connected to each other and access to other employees is easy for advice, support, or answers (both in person and virtually).
- Parking is free at our administration and public works/agriculture services buildings, located within the Town of Lamont.
- We have a defined benefit pension plan, a competitive health and dental benefits plan, education and membership opportunities, three weeks vacation to start (inclusive of statutory holidays), and a friendly team environment that allows work from home when practical.
Lamont County: Make it Safe! Make it Personal! Make it Home!
Lamont County is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace and to promoting the health and well-being of its employees. We are a smoke-free work environment; smoking & vaping is permitted in designated outdoor areas only
Please forward your application in one of the following ways (as one PDF or Word document only):
| Website: www.lamontcounty.ca
Lamont County thanks all applicants for their interest. Please note: only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for and submit a separate application for different positions. All resumes are retained on file for a period of six months.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Oct 17, 2022
Closing Date: Nov 04, 2022